Do you tell your kids your sorry?

If you loose your temper or snap at them do you tell them you were wrong for doing it? I really lost my cool tonight, it was all day of whining and them both having problems with whatever I did ALL DAY LONG. I raised my voice and was not warm at the end of the night. I apologized and talked about what I did was wrong. Do you guys do the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do. Even though he's still too young to really know, he can tell a lot by voice tone and body language.
    If I do wrong, I apologize. Just like I would expect or want an apologize if I'd been done wrong.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes I do. I think it teaches then that we all make mistakes and it is important to own up to those mistakes. Does it excuse losing ones temper? No, but it lets the kids know that we love them and that we don't think that losing our temper is acceptable.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I really try to. My daughter is only nine months old but I constantly apologize to her. If I whack her on the head with my foot, like I did today when she stood up on the edge of the couch and I didn't know she was there, I'll apologize. When she does something she's not supposed to do, I'll smack her hand and take her away from the dangerous area and then apologize and tell her why she's not supposed to be there. I know she doesn't "get" everything right now, but the more I explain the more she'll learn.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Absolutely. Not only does it reassure them that you still love them no matter what, it also teaches them that everyone "goofs" and to be held accountable and responsible for those "goofs". It does not excuse the behavior, just as their apologies do not erase what they have done, but it helps to make amends and start over again on a new and better path. =-) We have all had those days momma, hope tomorrow is better for you!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If I snap for no reason, yes.
    But not if they got in trouble and they deserved it.
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't apologize for discipline, then it is ineffective. It doesn't make sense. But yes for just being upset, and they didn't do anything to deserve being yelled at.

Anonymous

• Yes, when I over-react, which seems to be quite often, I apologize. My three year old daughter always says, "It's ok mommy, just don't do it again!" lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes. I am blessed with a child living with autism, so the stress level is off the charts more often than not. I apologize to him because it's the right thing to do. He's a person,too.
    Anonymous

• If you feel that you over reacted then yes its ok to say sorry.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 10:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When I feel that my reaction was not called for, then yes. Sometimes the stress of the day, combined with constant whining for something while I'm trying to do something (like cook dinner) can cause me to snap and/or yell. Those are times when I'll apologize.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009