need advice on some baby items

I am trying to get the remaining items I need for baby to come home. I have a couple questions before purchasing, though. 1. What kind of tub is best for a newborn? The plain plastic ones, or the ones with the meshy stuff? (I will probably be sitting it on the counter rather than in the sink or bath) 2. what type of thermometor is the easiest to use and still accurate? I don't want something that takes forever while the baby gets fussy. 3. Are the electric nasal aspirators better (for keeping the baby from fussing) than the plain ones? i've heard they fuss a lot with the plain ones if it takes too long 4. since there are special wash cloths, am I supposed to use special towels too??

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I preferred the bath with the mesh hammock in it as opposed to the plastic one. I like the underarm digital thermometer, it was easy to use and read, the one that takes the temp in the ear is always different by quite a bit, even if you do it 3 times consecutively. As for the nasal aspirator, I just used the blue bulb. you really do not need to use it often and once you get the hang of it it only takes a couple of minutes when you do need it. The towels are no big deal, but I really liked the ones with the hood on them, easy to swaddle baby while drying and keep them warm.
    Anonymous

• Not sure about the thermometer... we just have a standard one. No fuss or added whistles and bells.
    The tub we had was the Rainforest tub by Fisher Price and I honestly LOVED it. I'm going to be using that one on baby #2.
    We have the Graco electric aspirator, and it comes with some music to keep them distracted. At first, our son got kind of freaked out by the noise, but once he heard it a couple times, along with other distracting noises, he was fine. The manual ones did come in handy, but the electric ones were just faster for me. I use both, just whatever is around when I need it.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I didn't really use towels - my son was really little for his hooded towels still. I just swaddled him immediately out of the bath, sometimes I'd run it through the dryer for 30 seconds so it'd be nice and toasty, and we would just snuggle for a few minutes.
    The washcloths are you preference. When he had a NICU bath, they swaddled him in there too and used the fabric as a wash cloth, and other nurses just used their hands to lather him up.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• babiesrus.com is a GREAT website! I used it for my registry & almost every product has comments by other moms on what they thought about it. Just thought I'd share...
    riceswife

Answer by riceswife at 9:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 1) I liked the plastic tub that had a little sling for newborns. It worked really well. My daughter outgrew it about 3 months along and then I switched to a big yellow spounge that sits on the bottom of the tub.
    2) Just your basic digital under the arms is pretty accurate. That is what we use and it has not steered us wrong.
    3) I just use a plain old aspirator. I have never used the electric one. The one you get from the hospital, the tip is to big but you can find ones with little tips that work great. Walgreens sells one with changeable heads and comes with one small enough for a little nose.
    4) I really do not think you have to use any kind of special towel. I have a ton of baby washclothes that we use but I do not think you have to use them. And any towel will work to dry the baby. I like the hooded towels because I helps to dry hair as you are drying baby off.

This is what we do and I hope it helps. Congrats!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 1- I'd say you probably want one with the mesh at first. 2- The ear ones if you get a good one. My friend who is a nurse said you add one degree if you don't take it rectaly. 3- My doctor told me if your baby gets fussy from the nasal aspirators you can use saline spray. They make a kind specially for babies. She said it's safer too, the aspirators can hurt htier nose if you do it wrong. Which I think ould be easy to do since babies tend to squirm. 4- They make baby towels but you don't have to use them as long as your towels are soft and you cover babies head right away. They lose heat through their head so it's important to cover it. That's why baby towels are usually hooded. Good luck. And you will love mylicon gas drops. They are a life saver. My SO called it baby-cry-be-gone. LOL
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I used a type of mesh baby hammock for baths. I hated those plastic tubs! She slipped around and it was hard to wash everywhere. DD was done with it around 8 mos, when she sat really well and could sit in a normal tub.

For thermometers I just used an underarm/rectal one. As PP said, ear thermometers are always off by a few degrees, no matter how many times you take their temp.

Saline spray and the regular bulb aspirators worked great for me.

I bought baby wash cloths and hardly ever use them. I loved the hooded towels, even for my now toddler. She gets excited when she gets to use her duck towel :~) And I use them for myself sometimes, when I don't have time to get to my hair right away.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 1. What kind of tub is best for a newborn? I've used both, prefer the one with a mesh sling.
    2. what type of thermometor is the easiest to use and still accurate? I just use an electric one that reads in 6 seconds
    3. Are the electric nasal aspirators better (for keeping the baby from fussing) than the plain ones? They make electric ones? I think it's actually the snot being sucked out of their faces that they don't like.
    4. since there are special wash cloths, am I supposed to use special towels too?? There are infant towels. I like using them during newborn baths. I put one over the baby so they don't get cold (though it will be totally soaked LMAO)
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I had a regular thermometer and it was extremely difficult to get her temp. I went to Walmart and got one you can use in the ear. So much easier! The tub I liked best was a plastic one with a removable mesh/net. It was from Walmart too. When your baby gets older you can remove the mesh net. It has a hole in the bottom to drain the water out. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 1. The plastic ones are fine. I actually prefer this little cheap soft, foldable, portable infant bathing chair that can fit in a tub or sink. It is great (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11020933)

2. The best thermometer is an Infrared Non-contact. It's fast, accurate, recommended by my pediatrician & we use it for the whole house. A temporal artery thermometer is good too and a little cheaper. Do NOT get an ear thermometer. They aren't accurate.

3. Yes, the electric aspirators are better. They're faster & suck better.

4. The only reason you need special towels and wash cloths is if you are using baby detergent for your baby and regular detergent for the rest of the house. When I have a baby in the house (will have #3 this December) I just wash everything in baby detergent...problem solved. :)
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2009