Gender Reassignment

Inspired by a thread on another site. Do you think gender reassignment surgery should be covered by insurance? Why/why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• No. Because it is a optional surgery. Any optional surgery should not be covered by insurance. I think.

Answer by louise2 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Louise, would you say that treatment for depression is optional? If a DOCTOR says that the well-being of a person's emotional and mental health is at SERIOUS risk due to their being trapped, by birth, in a body that is not the right gender, how is that OPTIONAL?
    Anonymous

• Everything done to you medically should be covered by insurance.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Eirelass, so you're saying breast implants and other cosmetic surgery done just for the hell of it should be covered by insurance?

To me gender reassignemnt is no different than having a nose job or your breasts done for cosmetic purposes only.
    Anonymous

• Treat the depression with pills and therapy. If the person feel that way about it, they can change there sex out of their own pocket themselves. JMO

If you were born a boy or a girl. That is what you are. JMO

And no I would not pay for my child to have that surgery. They can do it when they get grown.JMO

Answer by louise2 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't know. Can I get a tummy tuck and a breast lift with insurance? If not, then no.
    Anonymous

• Yes. The person has a real problem and disorder. It can be hard living in the wrong body (which is how these people feel). It is no different than any other mental disorder and any other mental disorder is covered by insurance.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• No! God made you a boy or a girl. Gender reassignment costs like a million dollars and the pre-operation treatments take a year or more to complete! Learn to live with how you were born.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes because it falls under a mental/psychological category. They are living in the wrong body. But you have to believe that and not be one of those that says gay people make a choice to be gay. They want to be normal and the toll it takes on living day in and day out must be awful. To get such a surgery must be really painful and you must be desperate so I think it should be covered.
    Anonymous

• wait a minute, gender reassignment is NOT cosmetic. Ridiculous theory.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009