How do you treat a sprained ankle?

My DH messed up his ankle playing basketball yesterday. He couldnt put pressure on it at all after it happened, but its semi better now. Ive been putting cold packs on it for 20 minutes every hour and for 20 minutes out of the same hour an ace bandage and then the remaining time left in the hour I have him stretch it out a bit. It's always elevated and Ive been giving him Ibuprofen for the swelling and pain... What else can I do for his ankle? Is there anyway to make it heal faster? Yesterday and today were his days off and tomorrow he goes back to work and I really dont want to send him off with a hurt ankle. Thanks for your help!

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 9:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• There's really no surefire way to help it heal faster... it'll just mend on it's own.
    Ice and heat packs should help, and using the ACE bandages as pressure. Something like IcyHot would help quite a bit as well.
    Just tell him to keep off his feet as much as possible, or at least put weight on his good foot while he's around. Maybe his boss will ease his workload a little - if he's on his feet 24/7 or something of that nature.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would continue what you are doing, sounds like you are doing all the right things. You could always try to "google" it too...?
    Anonymous

• When I sprained my ankle, Dr. told me to do RICE~ Rest, Ice, Compression,Elevation. Sounds like you're on the right track! Hope DH feels better soon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• How to Correctly Treat a Sprained Ankle | eHow.com

How to Correctly Treat a Sprained Ankle. The ankle is the part of the body most commonly sprained. Correct and early treatment improves recovery.
    www.ehow.com/how_6046_treat-sprained-ankle.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• vbruno

• Stop stretching it and let it heal. He needs to rest his ankle. Alternate ice and heat, elevate his ankle and wrap in an ace bandage. Have him take Advil for pain and swelling. If he is in pain and there is still swelling after a few days, he should go to the doctor and have it checked out, he could have a hairline fracture.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• he should also be taking ibuprofen, or another non steroidal anti inflammatory

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009