Has anyone ever been on pain meds long term while breastfeeding?

I have been taking pain medication (hydrocodone) for the past six months and I am breastfeeding. I have been told it is ok to take pain meds while breastfeeding, and was given the prescriptions, but is it really okay for such a long period of time? Is anyone else going through this? I'm worried about effects on my baby. She seems to be just fine????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking them for?
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I was on hydrocodone for the first 5 weeks following both of my c-section deliveries. My dr said hydrocodone is fine while BF, as is Tylenol, or Motrin/Advil, but not Aleve for some reason.

My bigger concern with taking hydrocodone for 6 months would be you becoming addicted. Hydrocodone is highly addictive and you should come off it as soon as you can.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yeah it can be very addictive. I work at a hospital pharmacy so I know how people can become dependent on it. So your doc is suggesting you take it this long after you've delivered?
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm much more concerned about YOU at this point. These pain meds are addictive. No other alternatives?

Answer by gdiamante at 9:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 6 months is an long time to be taking any narcotic pain pill. I dont see how you would not be addicted by now. Also they are very strong and can cause all kinds of health problems if taken for long periods of time. For your health and your babies I would start laying off the hydrocodone. There must be a better alternative!
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 10:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• First I was on them for pain post-delivery then for sciatic pain and then for a tooth problem which has finally been resolved. I am wondering if I really am addicted to them. I never take more than a 7.5mg dose and the most I have taken was four times in one day. I do feel tired and ickey when I don't take them and when I do, I feel energy and can get more done. It is very embarrasing and I feel like a terrible mother. There are better alternatives and I think I do need to get help. Can anyone relate to me?? Its funny (not really) but I didn't use any pain medication when I had my daughter, but I sure have since. help!!!!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 1:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I had 4 root canals and was given vicodin and percocet for the pain. By the time they were done with the root canals I was some what addicted. The way I got over it was to lower the amount I took each day, then per week and then eventually I didnt have anymore and was pretty much off of them. It is hard but deffinitely worth it
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 7:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Thank you for your advice..... that is what I have started doing as well. I'm weaning off of them now and should probably not take a prescription for them in the future. But holy cow the pain from an abscessed tooth is so intense, Ibuprofen didn't touch it! And I didn't realize how much it would hurt after having it yanked!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 12:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2009