Is something wrong with him or is this normal?

My son just turned 1 and sometimes i wonder if something is wrong with him. He throws fits all the time and he screams so loud that the police were called while he was at daycare one time because he was fighting sleep. He screams at the top of his lungs every time i change his diaper, take him out of the bath, make him sit down to eat, put him in the carseat, or really just anytime i tell him no. I'm at my breaking point and sometimes i cry because i can't believe i have such an angry man. I have bruises up and down my legs from him kicking me when he is tired and fighting sleep because i am rocking him and trying to get him to drink milk. Is this normal or is something wrong with my little guy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure but maybe you should talk to his pediatrician about it.... Good luck!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I am not sure if its normal but, my 2 year old is doing almost the same thing. He throws fits all the time and sometimes I think something is wrong with him 2. I thought about taking him to a child psychologist.
    misty169

Answer by misty169 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Have you tried ignoring him? If he is fighting sleep, shove him in his crib. If he refuses to eat, put him down and walk away. If he is screaming over a diaper, get a changing pad that has straps to pin him down and dont talk to him or make eye contact. Start teaching him if he throws fits not only does he not get extra attention... but he doesnt get any attention. If he throws a fit in teh highchair eating, make sure he is STRAPPED IN then turn aroudn adn watch tv. Tell him he isnt allowed out untill he finishes his meal. tell him if he gets into hsi carseat nicely, youll give him a toy or treat, show it to him. When he fights you on it, dont give it to him. After a few weeks he will learn that there is an acceptable way to act and throwing tantrums is NOT it.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 10:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• um dont do that it will only make it worse..wow.
    have u talked to his doc about it hunny? my kids went through a phase to a lesser degree of what ur little one is going through...but since it sounds pretty bad u should have his ped take a look and go from there. hope its nothing and just a bad phase..
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son is going through a similar phase. Based on what my nephews and kids I have babysit, he is hitting the terrible two's early. He is pushing your buttons trying to show you who is boss. You have to be stern. It seems mean but we just put him to bed and let him cry it out. If my son wants to throw his cup, we put it somewhere else and if he throws it again we take it away until he asks and doesnt throw it. Its hard but we are slowly getting through his fit stage. It gets worse before it gets better. I wish you the best of luck! Remember to stay strong, you are the parent, if you let his fits go now just imagine how he is going to act later on in life!
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 1:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I understand what Kayere is saying and she has a point. If you ignore the undesirable behavior and give him the positive reinforcemnt of your attention when he demonstrates good behavior, he will turn around. It's classical conditioning. When you focus on him while he is pitching a fit, he's only learning that he will get more attention. Making sure he's safe and then remove the audience (yourself). The fit becomes less rewarding.
    It sounds like he hasn't learned the skill of how to soothe himself to sleep. Google "infant states of arousal." Teach him to do this on his own. It will be a rough few days because your heart will break hearing him cry (mine did), but let him cry for 10 minutes, go in and rub his back, soothe him, DO NOT pick him up, and leave. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until he's asleep. The next night, go in every 15 minutes, the following night 20. It took my son 3 nights to learn this. Good luck to you.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• well, My son screams where you can hear him outside when I would put him down to sleep, for up to 45 minutes or more somenights, I couldn't have the windows open this summer cause he would wake up so damn angry and crabby. The tantrums did start at 1 with my son however he had full blown colic and all day fussing when that was done til he was 1 so he's been a struggle since he was born. It gets SO hard. I know!! he is 23 months old and JUST stopepd fighting me to change his diaper all the time - he still does sometimes, he will whine and cry all day. about 20 months old I started just putting him in his room til he was all done whining - i just have had enough. although he can use his words now most of the time to tell me whats wrong, but girl, Email anytime you need to vent because I've been there. and have a hard child too!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• WHile I generaly ignore with trying to ignore him when he's throwing a tantrum, I'd check with your pediatrician. His behavior sounds a bit excessive to me and is obv iously making you nuts..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yeah - he's a toddler. I completely agree with Kayere - take her advice and you'll be doing BOTH of you a favor!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• While I'm inclined to agree with Kayere, I also think you should definitely talk to your pediatrician about it... I'm a little concerned with the age. If he were 24 months instead of 12 months, I'd say it was just temper tantrum. If the pediatrician says everything's normal, then, yeah, the no reward for bad behavior thing will hopefully do the trick.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 5:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2009