Does being a mom make you more sensitive to certain crime shows? (ie Law and Order SVU)

Before I had my son I was definitely a total Law and Order Special Victim Units and basically any other crime show fan. Now I cant watch any of the episodes that deal with anything bad happening to children without my stomach turning and starting to cry and feeling the need to go give my son a million kisses. Anyone else like this?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Entertainment

• Definately
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Absolutely. I feel like in some ways I am a different creature now that I am a mother. I am definitely able to relate to humanity on a whole other level, because I am looking at things from the perspective of how things might affect my daughter also. And to think that other women/mothers are going through the same types of feelings...to see depictions like that in crime show or to even catch a headline on Yahoo News or something...it definitely affects my emotional state, and yes, I too want to shower my daughter with a million kisses and hold her tight, and pray, and wish that I could protect her from all the harm in this world.
    Kumbaya

Answer by Kumbaya at 9:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• omg i stop watching these lifetime moves i get paranoid thinking someone gonna just take them . lol. especially these sexual predators stuff .....yea
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think so.

I know being nabbed off the street by a stranger when I was a kid makes me hate dramatizations of kidnappings. Especially when the victims seem all calm - it's so far from reality and too close to reality for me.
    Anonymous

• Since I watched my Mom die in the hospital on a ventalator I cant stand any shows where someone is on a vent, or where they use the shock paddles, but I still watch House. Though when those scenes come on I admit to getting up and walking away. What your feeling is normal. I wont watch those shows where bad shit happens to kids, my heart cant take it. Your not alone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Becoming a Mom has made me sensitive to everything.
    Anonymous

• Yep! I could watch all those shows before with the "whatever" attitude. Now I still watch those shows, but I get a little teary during some of them! LOL! I definitely think it's because I'm a momma! :o)
    s.a.d.k.mommy

Answer by s.a.d.k.mommy at 8:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No actually lol.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 10:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Actually I was I was VERY sensitive before the show and even worse now being a mom !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Very much so. As well as watching the news and hearing stories about horrible things happening to children. I can't stand that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009