What do I do about a totally unruly 3 year old?

My 3 year old is totally unruly, she screams in my face, doesn't listen to anything I say and is really mean to her 2 yr old sister.I started her in preschool and she didn't even go a whole week before she started refusing togo to bed and wake up in the mornings.

rachy1983

Asked by rachy1983 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would slap her rump & mean it. Let her know you are boos with out being abusive.
    Anonymous

• Do NOT slap her rump, do not hit her. She does NOT need to be slapped to learn to listen and behave. Get the book, 1-2-3 It's Magic and read it all the way through and then follow it. It is a common sense no spanking approach to discipline that works. When she screams in your face, walk away. When she is mean to her sister, put her in her room. Take away her favorite toys, explain to her how you want her to behave. Compliment her when she does good, be overly enthusastic. Children do not always know what we want from them, we must teach them. Show them and do it over and over again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sounds to me like you created this monster of a child and are continuing to let her dictate the rules in your home. WHO's the adult? You? or a 3 year old?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Well let's see the first thing you do is put your foot down and let her know she's the child and you are the mom. She's refusing to go to bed and wake up in the morning? Are you kidding me? She's 3!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with tyfry. Time out, loss of toys and privileges are the way to go along with specific praise when she's behaving as she should be.
    She's probably having a difficult time transitioning to pre-school as well. There are great books out there to read with her to help with the transition. I particularly like the one Maisy Goes To Preschool.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Whatever method you use just be consistant...that is the most important. Stay on him/her or they will only get worse as the get bigger. It is an on going thing in our house these days. My 4 yr old has really begun to talk back. I think it is his age. We do not let him slide on this ever. I know it well pass as long as we stick with cracking down on him every time he gets out of line. Some days I feel the kid lives in time out, but it is the only way he is going to learn we cannot be broken.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• give this mom some slack, she's trying the best way she knows how...

ok listen rachy))

you have to get eye level with her and tell her she needs to listen or no christmas toys.. tell her she won't get anything for her birthday either!! she is like my 3 yr old girl.. you just have to use what u got mama! and if that means giving her a choice if shewants to go to bed now or with all of us when it's time??

this process will take time, just be patient!!!

****************xoxo************
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Phew! My daughter acts the same way and I have tried every method of discipline that is out there. I have read dozens of books on the subject. The best one so far has been The Defiant Child. This book helped me to understand dd's behavior. The next most treasured book is 1-2-3 Magic. It has made a tremendous difference in our lives. It takes a lot of work and consistency. I spanked her and found it only made her furious and act even more out of control. So I don't do that anymore.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2009