I am Christian and my husband is Catholic and he wants to baptize our son but I can't decide if I want to or not because I would have to convert to catholicism and I don't want to convert my religion...any advice?

SummerLeAnn

Asked by SummerLeAnn at 10:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The 'canon law' for baptism (Can. 868 §1) says for an infant to be baptized:

1. the parents or at least one of them or the person who legitimately takes their place must consent;

2.  there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.

So you do not have to convert to Catholicism in order to have your child baptized, so perhaps the priest made a mistake or misunderstood.  You do have to agree not to try to prevent your husband from raising the child in the Catholic faith.  But that's it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I baptized both of my boys without converting to Catholicism. As long as the prospective godparents are Catholic, it should be fine.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Do you all attend a church? Maybe you could look at Lutheran churches. It is a break off of the Catholic church. I was raised Catholic, but also attended Methodist with my dad's family. But my husband was raised in a Brethren church. When we met and married attended Lutheran church. We belong to a Lutheran church where we live now, but had our first son baptised by the Pastor who married us at home with our family.
    Anyways....it was just a thought.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Why should YOU have to convert to have your baby baptised? I thought Catholics got Christened not baptised? Either way if his church is trying to force YOU to convert to get your baby baptised you all need to find a new church. That's NOT a Jesus following church no matter what denomination they call themselves in my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't think you HAVE to convert.... but I've been wrong before.

If that is the case, though, I really don't see how you could convert if you don't believe in the teachings of Catholicism. It would just be a big ol' lie.... and I'm pretty sure every denomination of Christianity frowns on that.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Catholics are Christians

You do not have to convert. In fact, I doubt either parent has to be Catholic as long as their is a sponsor that will raise the child Catholic ie grandparent, aunt/uncle

Anonymous

• I thought Catholics got Christened not baptised?

I am not sure if there is a difference between "Christened and "Baptised" but I know my kids received a certificate of "baptism" from the Catholic Church

As far as forcing her to convert, I have never heard of that. My husband was not Catholic when our children were baptised and my SIL was not Catholic when my niece and nephew were baptised. My uncle was not and is still not Catholic yet his children were baptised and confirmed in the Catholic church. They are both practicing Catholics as well as my aunt. My uncle is Lutheran but attends Catholic Mass with my aunt for the last 35 years.
    Anonymous

• Does the particular church where your husband intends to have them baptized requires that you convert? Some branches of Catholicism have some requirements that others do not have. I am almost certain you would not have to convert. But if you want to be sure, check with the dioceses or parish.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 10:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Some branches of Catholicism have some requirements that others do not have.

like what ?
    Anonymous

• You do NOT have to convert to Catholicism to have your child baptized Catholic. Your child's father is Catholic and that is all you need. Talk to the parish priest and they will be able to explain everything to you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009