Can I get H1N1 twice?

Before I had the chance to get flu shot(s), I got swine flu. It is awful, but I am getting better. I just want to know if I can get it again this 'year'. Should I get the vaccine when it comes? Should I still get flu vaccine? I don't want to get that sick again, but if I don't need the shots, why spend the money to get them? Thanks for your help!

rapunzel1

Asked by rapunzel1 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• If you've had it once you should be safe (your body has the antibodies now). The other flu shot is different. . . It has 3 different strains of flu thought to be the most wide spread that are all different from H1N1. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• im sure you can get twice. you can get the regular flu twice. im not sure if i would get the swine flu vaccine though. . im so scared that im get the swine flu. where do you live? and what was it like? did you have to go to the hospital or anything?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The swine flu is like most any other illness you CAN get it more than once.
    btw, You can still get the swine flu even once you've had the vaccination as well..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes, it is a virus. You can get reinfected from viruses. :/
    Anonymous

• The flu ("regular", H1N1, whichever) is a virus. You can only get any particular virus once, at which point your immune system produces antibodies that fight the virus, so if you're ever exposed to it again, those antibodies are already there and immediately effective. The thing with the flu virus (and rhinovirus -- the common cold) is that it mutates quickly and often, so even though you've had the flu once, you can get it again, but it's not exactly the same flu. I'm pretty sure H1N1 is a specific virus strain, so if you've already had it, you don't need the shot (though I could be wrong about that). But that doesn't mean you can't catch the "regular" flu, so if you vaccinate against the flu it won't be a wasted shot (unless you still happen to catch a strain that wasn't in the vaccine).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009