How much would you pay for a sewing machine?

I've never used or bought one before but I'd like to. I've seen prices from $15 to $600. What would you pay? What makes a sewing machine special or worth it? Are the big bulky ones better than the little ones? I want something easy but reliable and preferably small for occasional use. How do you pick one?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 10:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Actually they go from about $15 to several thousand dollars. Don't buy the really cheap ones, they are pretty much toys, and you won't be satisfied with your results. Actually, I teach sewing lessons, and I'll message you a copy of sewing machine tips I give to my students when they ask for recommendations. I hope it helps you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Depends on how much I had and what I was going to use the machine for. More important then the price is the quality of the machine. Some of the most expensive machines are crap. Do you want new or used? Do some research online before buying then test several machines at a dealer.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think I paid $75 for my machine almost 5 years ago and it does everything I need. I sew everything from kids clothes to quilts on it. If you plan on doing a lot of sewing, I would get as nice of a machine as you can afford- BUT don't go into debt for it or anything like that.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• OH man how much WOULD I pay....over 5 k...how much COULD I pay? LOL Less than 300 bucks!

I bought a computerized brother off ebay for 80. Even if u pay to have it looked at its still prob a good deal. Brother, Singer and Juno are all good brands.

southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009