can you re-use breast milk that was refrigerated, used and then left in room temp for about an hour, and then refrigerated again?

sorry! new mom and confused about breast milk storage guidelines. I looked some up but couldnt find an answer for this ^^^. dont have an appointment with pediatrician till Thursday morning and my doctor told me to pump instead of breastfeed because i already have really big sores on my nipples and she doesnt want me to get an infection. any breast milk storage advice would be helpful thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. You shouldn't re-heat breastmilk.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wouldnt suggest it.. heres a great website with guidelines about breast milk storage to be for sure though :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Not sure about breast milk but with formula you are not supposed to put it back in the fridge after you have used some of it because saliva works its way back into the bottle as your baby drinks and causes germs to grow really fast. I don't imagine breast milk would be that different. I personally wouldn't use it.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh sorry... got ahead of myself.. didn't see that you wanted storage advice :-/

Ok, so, refrigerated breastmilk is good for about 5 days. Frozen milk, up to about a year. Don't heat in the microwave & don't reheat. But you can feed it warm, room-temp, or cold.... doesn't really matter... however baby likes it.

Hope that helps 'til Thurs, at least.

Oh, and especially since you're pumping exclusively, you might want to start taking Fenugreek. Pumping is less effective than baby's suckling.... your supply will likely drop because of it. Fenugreek will keep your supply up.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• So... in addition to what Laura said.
    Once milk it out, used - you toss the remaining.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• is out..* that's what I meant.
    So, no, you can't re-use that breast milk. Just toss it.
    K_Sawyer

• Once it's out, toss after an hour....if it's room temp, it's good for 10 hours, if it's never been in the freezer or fridge....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• also, if you're pumping you should store in 2 oz bags...that way if baby wants more you can thaw more...if not then you don't waste as much. :)
    calliesmommie

• Calliesmommie, room temp is good for 10 hours?? Like I can pump a bottle leave it on the table and 5 hours later my DH can feed it to our LO?

OP, no, you can't reheat after it's been heated once.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 12:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• 10 hours? are you nuts
    once its been warmed up toss what you dont use with in a hour
    if its fresh pumped milk it can be left at room temp for up to 4 hours.
    you can store milk in the fridge up to 5 days and freeze milk up to a year depending on if its a deep freeze or just in your regular freezer if in your regular freezer id use it with in 4 months.
    thats what the ladys at wic and my lactation consoltint told me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009