Cellphone use in the checkout line.

Is it rude to be standing there jabbering away on your cellphone when it is your turn to check out?

I have been on both sides of the counter and my opinion is YES! Here's why.

You are not the only person in line (most of the time).
The cashier's job is to accurately ring up your purchases and give you your total and make change. Not compete with your phone for your attention to do so.
The cashier cannot always pause the transaction because your friend on the phone needs you to pick something up for them after you have placed your stuff there the be checked out and Is the one who hears the complaints when they must stand there twiddling their thumbs for you to go across the store for your friends item.

You don't have to end your call but setting your phone down and placing your call on hold is a sign of respect.

Am I the only one that things this way?

Tygermommanikki

Asked by Tygermommanikki at 11:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• nope i feel the same way, i hated working in retail and someone would be jabbering away i'm trying to tell them the total w/20 people in line behind them, tell whoever you are talking to to wait a min, it takes 5 secs to complete a transaction, place the phone on the counter or just stop talking for a min while you pay. some places won't even ring you up now if you are on the phone during your transaction. i had one lady arguing w/someone on the phone once, yell at me to wait a min so she could finish her convo. i voided her out and moved to the next person, told her when she was READY to come back to the counter and i'd help her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OMG---i just posted the same question! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I feel the same way. I actually got told to hold on, while they talked and I waited for their money. Rude.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think it's rude. If my phone rings while I am in the checkout line I either ignore it or have my husband answer it (I have ring tones set up so if it's one of my sons who live out of state or one of my teens it needs answered but anyone else can wait). I don't talk in restuaraunts either. I think that it takes from the person I am eating with and it's rude to the waitress if she has to wait on someone to finish talking so that she can take their order.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• no, i don't feel that way. if i'm on the phone with someone, first off, i ask if they need anything before i even get in the checkout line, and if they make a last minute decision i tell them i'm sorry, but i'm already checking out and i can't get it. second, i'm pretty good at multitasking so holding the phone against my ear with my shoulder and putting things on the conveyer belt isn't that hard, and normally the person on the phone knows i'm checking out, and they're understandable if i am talking to both her and the cashier at the same time. besides, cashiers don't really talk to you much, they just scan and ring up, i swipe the card, grab the reciept. Don't get me wrong, i do say hello and wish them a nice day before i leave, i'm not rude. all this while keeping a 2 year old from running away...now that's multitasking lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i work in the medical field and i hate when i call a patient and they are on the phone and they put their index finger up and asks me to hold on. Excuse me!, I'm calling you for your procedure and you tell me to wait because you're making a lunch date with your friend? sometimes i'm tempted to just put their chart back on the ledge and take the next patient. uugghh, I hate cell phones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think that for the most part it is rude. I do think there are some exceptions, though. For example, I will not be on my cell phone when I am at the store, but if it rings, I do check it and if it has to do with my kids (the sitter, the school), I will answer. I only get calls about my kids when there is an emergency, so to me, that would be acceptable and understandable. But to just have a normal, everyday conversation while you're in the checkout is rude.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2009