Why do so many people hate Catholics?(try not to bash please)

I'm catholic, and I'm finding that my religion is the most hated religion in the damn world beside Muslim.. .WHY? Yes we are strict in some areas and have so weird ass rules but really people? I don't follow my religion to a T but there are some things that I do follow and other people think are crazy., Just curious really!

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't realize that we were.... *shrugs*
    Yeah, I've come across a lot of Catholic jokes, like.. the Pope diddling little boys, or whatever. But, I just roll my eyes and move on. I also hear the same amount of jokes in relation to other religions. Mormons, Jews, Christians...
    I'm also not religious to the absolute, and there are some things that I do follow. People can think me crazy, but until they ask me, in a curious manner not malicious or anything, as to why I believe in that... I just think them judgmental and don't really think anything of it.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i'm a JW, i dont hate you. but i know how you feel. we are hated just as bad, if not more. Its a shame, because even though we dont believe the same things, we have one thing in common and that is our love for God. Dont worry, just follow the right path, ignore people and keep loving God.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• idk..i just figured it was a part of xtianity, which is largely hated here on CM...it is a strict, legalistic (my humble opinion, not bashing), tradition-loving church, which never seems to change standard. other churches are called modern, progressive..whatever...i'll say one thing: you never have to worry about the Catholic church changes its mind about a social issue just because 'times change'..but that's for a journal post...anyhoo, i think most people who aren't catholic, and even some who are, don't understand why there are so many rules and standards to follow..and sometimes, in that lack of understanding, they don't know what else to do but get wackywack about it. ( i have no idea what wackywack means..it just rolled out.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I was born, raised, and technically still a Catholic since I have not switched over to any other denomination. I do not practice Catholicism at all.....except for the crossing yourself part. I do not attend Catholic church. I cant stand most of the things the religion teaches/practices.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• lol Personally I see the JW's and Mormons getting a lot more hate than Catholics. Those with no religion get a lot of hate too. Catholics don't have it as bad as you think!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't know why there is so much hate. It is very common here on CM at times though. Many people just don't understand our faith or they have been mislead. There are Christian churches out there that actually spread a lot of very bad things about the Catholic church and their congregations believe those lies and spread them further. It's sad. However we're not alone in the hate. JWs, LDS, Islam all seem to be hated as much as we are. It's just ignorance.

And MommyLee, just because you hate the church yourself doesn't give you or anyone else a right to spread that hatred (not saying you are but some former Catholics do).

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'd say probably b/c they don't tolerate other views very well, then there is the thousands of years of oppression then have inflicted on people in other lands!! The whole Holy Roman Empire stuff and all!! The our way is the only way stuff!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I always thought the Mormans were the ones who had a harder time. I'm Catholic & although I run across people who believe wrong things about being Catholic ( that we worship Mary as if she is God & that we aren't Christian & crazy stuff lke that), I dont see Catholics being very "hated".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't hate catholics but I do believe you're teachings are false and corrupt. My mother was raised a catholic and you do worship Mary and the Saints. Also the bible speaks of the Pope as a helper to the antichrist, the religiouse helper. So while I might not hate you I do not believe you are worshipping God right, and the whole Pope is bad guy thing, kinda bugs me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Anon :26 It's those false teachings that you just repeated the keeps the hate going. We have many times told you are wrong that you don't understand. Erin for the most part has given you verses to prove what we believe. But that is another post that has come and gone. It really has to do the fact that they are protesting. So to prove their point, to make themselves feel that they are right, they have to twist the teaching around to make us look bad and themselves look better.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2009