Would you be embarassed??

Okay my husband has been planning on taking my son and I to Disney World for my Birthday which is in a week. Our son is 3 and has never been and I was reallly reallly excited to take him. Well my husband is over weight and wants to rent one of those motorized scooter things while we are there? I feel bad because now I dont even want to go because he is going to be riding around on that thing. I dont think we will have as much fun. He has had some health problems over the past year and has gained about 100 lbs. I am seriously considering postponing the trip until he has lost some weight so I dont have to listen to him complain the whole time. I also feel bad for not being soo understanding...I havent said anything at all to him about it yet though. I just dont know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well... I wouldn't be embarrassed because it's a health issue. For instance, my best friend is pretty overweight and has to ride a scooter if we're going to a place where a LOT of walking will be done, and she's that way because of an extremely overactive thyroid, which she's working to lose weight then getting her stomach stapled. I'm not embarrassed by it, no.
    You said that he was the one planning the trip, so he knows how much walking and stuff will be involved, which is probably why he wants that scooter. So I don't understand why that would make him complain during the whole trip. Maybe you can voice your reservations in a kind of nonchalant/joking manner if he's touchy about his weight. Like, "we're going to be walking around a LOT. Are you up for it, motor man?" with a big grin. (I call my FIL, who's in a Hoverround, motor man)
    It's all up to you though. You can always say you want to postpone until DS is older.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You should go. I would be embarrased too but dont worry what others think. Yall just go and have fun. WHy would he complain if he is the one planning it? Doesnt he know it would include alot of walking and heat?
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yeah he knows there will be a ton of walking and heat but he is quite the complainer when he gets too tired or too hot. Soo I am just concerned. I really do not think he needs the scooter though. We went to a pretty large aquarium a month or so ago and he had absolutely no problems walking around that place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• you do know that they have special lines for people in wheel chairs, right? and you get to be on the rides sooner. you should be ashamed for being embarrassed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• if its a health issue, what's the problem, momma? i've seen people on scooters that weren't overweight, and wondered what the 'issue' was..nothing to be embarassed about. this trip is supposed to be fun, for the family, right? then don't make an issue out of something that isn't. he's obviously thought it out, and knows there is tons of walking to be done. also, if you've never been, you should know you won't be able to 'do it all' all at once anyway. you're going to have to take your time, especially with a toddler in tow.
    just go, let him scoot around, and have a good time. oh and, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :))))
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• One more thing, he may not be able to fit on all of the rides...has he considered that?

I wouldn't be embarrassed though, but complaining would ruin the day.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wanna go to DisneyWorld too, but I'm also 100 pounds overweight and not in good enough shape for all that walking. I'm trying very hard to loose it though cuz I want my kids to have the trip and if I went right now I'd probably need a scooter too and would be too embarrassed to use it, nor would I want to embarrass my kids like that. So I'll loose the weight to make my kids happy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Here is the silver lining: With him in the scooter, you get to go to the head of every line....just saying!
    My mom had back surgery one year, so when we took our semi-annual trip to Mickey World, she had to be in a wheelchair--we got bumped to the head of the line for EVERY ride, not just the ones she could ride. It was so great!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009