International Adoption story -- Is this ethical of the hospital and agency??

For those who read and commented on "Sorry Mrs. Smith...", the adoptee and I have posted a follow-up. http://cedartrees.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/sorry-mrs-smith-looking-beyond-the-story. This adoptee has bravely told her story.

International adoption or not, the parents were forced to either surrender their daughter or possibly see her die. The hospital refused to treat her, and had an "arrangement" with an adoption agency that would pay $$$. Coercion? Extortion? What do you think?

Cedartrees4

Asked by Cedartrees4 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Adoption

• Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• That's incredibly sad.
    I find it shocking that some people said it's a critique to U.S. health insurance system? What? I don't get it.

That's completely outrageous, and I can't believe that's allowed!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Don't you think you caused enough uproar with this story?  You've already posted this question (http://www.cafemom.com/answers/299394/Have_you_seen_this_adoption_story) and you got many answers to your question before it got completely out of hand.  Who new are you trying to reach?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Where does it say they were forced? They were just given another option other than doing it themselves. Their reaction told the doctor they couldn't pay. My opinion is that the hospital just wants their payment no matter what and it doesn't sound like the parents can give them that. Adoption or paying the bill ---- are there any other options in this country? Not all countries have hospitals like in America where they write off poor people's medical bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• "Where does it say they were forced? They were just given another option other than doing it themselves."

Perhaps you should read more carefully. They did not have the money.
    Mei-Ling

Answer by Mei-Ling at 10:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Not having the money and being forced are two completely different things. Whose fault is it that the parents didn't have the money? Maybe not the parent's but certainly not the hospital's. If the parents were forced by anything, it was by their own fears of the surgery costs and that's neither coercion or extortion -- unless you want to count their inner thoughts as suspects. It's a sad story, I'll give you that, but I'm not seeing it as there being a bad guy here.

Going by the responses in the other post they weren't in a country where they could have paid it off slowly, so should the hospital have done the surgery and not charged because the parents couldn't afford?

Apparently I'm not getting out of this story what I'm supposed to. So what do you think should have happened?
    Anonymous

• "If the parents were forced by anything, it was by their own fears of the surgery costs and that's neither coercion or extortion"

Where do you get that impression from?

"so should the hospital have done the surgery and not charged because the parents couldn't afford?"

You're missing the point. The parents did not pay because they didn't have the money. The hospital should not be taking advantage of this and saying "Too bad, so sad, you can't pay for your own kid, well shucks, there's a set of prospective parents who can! Guess they get your kid!"

Why are medical bills and adoption going hand-in-hand?
    Mei-Ling

Answer by Mei-Ling at 12:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The thing that bothers me is that they classify "unable" as abandonment. It isn't.

"So?" you say. "What's the big deal?"

The big deal is that the ends do not justify the means.
    Mei-Ling

Answer by Mei-Ling at 12:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Adoption and medical bills should not go hand in hand and the parents should have thought about that. If the hospital didn't say "too bad so sad" then what should they have said? Don't worry about it because it's on the house?

I'll ask the question again," So what do you think should have happened? "
    Anonymous

• I am saddened to know that this took place. As an adoptive parent, I am also deeply saddened to hear the adoptee in this story (who was the victim in this story)....no wait....there are multiple victims in this particular adoption story. The adoptee w/o question had no say. The Taiwan parents (as Mei-Ling prefers, her Taiwan Mama) were taken advantage of, w/o doubt. But also, in the face of being TOLD that a baby would die w/o their help, the adoptive parents were also used in this particular adoption (IMHO). Mei-Ling, it bothers me to see you giving your TW family the benefit of the doubt (as would I) but NOT quite believing what your adoptive parents tell you. Not believing or explaining away by a "diagnosis" what she must have been thinking when she'd have given you back to your Mama after the surgery. Maybe there is something that you know about your parents that we don't, but are you thinking they somehow were to blame?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009