How do mothers do it?

I am a young single mother. I have an almost 14 month old son, and I am assistant manger in a restaurant. Sorry I'm bad at spelling. I work 50 plus hours a week. If it wasnt for my son's father then I wouldn't be able to make ends meet. He babysits and works nights. He hardly gets any rest. But I am still run down. How do completely single mothers do it? I am run down and I do have assistance. The only thing that makes what I'm doing worth while is last night while putting my son to sleep I fell asleep, I was rubbing his eyes and I fell asleep. I woke up to him saying mom clear as day and then I love you clear as day. Then he rubbed my eyes till he fell asleep. Its worth it but how do I get passed the run down feeling?

ashes_leigh

Asked by ashes_leigh at 1:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think you do. You just try to focus on the good and get through the bad.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• give it time, eventually you get used to that worn down feeling and it becomes normal lol, but it has its rewards and those are so worth all the missed sleep and the extra coffee you drink to get through the day :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• are you taking any vitamins? I know it sounds silly, but they really can help you feel better! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My mother bless here heart was a completely single mother if u will of 4 kids, i have one blodd sibling and two half siblings and neither one of our fathers helped or so much as offered to help... all i remember is that she was always working, she worked two jobs just to make ends meet, my aunt watched us till my sister was old enough to do so... my mom would come home so tired and sleepy but stayed awake to spend time with us when she could, on her days off instead of sleeping in she would mke us breakfast and take us to the park.... sorry if that is no help but i am sure ur son will grow up to appreciate the hell outta u like i do my mom...
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Well, first of all, you spelled everything correctly that I can tell. Use spell-check if you think you misspelled something. Secondly, it's their drive to want to do better for their kids. Buckle down and do it for him.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I was only completely on my own for a few months, and I was sick every weekend. It is very hard. It certainly helps to live near family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm married but there have been months at a time where my husband was working in another state leaving me alone with the kids. Basically I was always in survival mode and I didn't have a job. I was exhausted all the time (mostly mentally from dealing with the kids constantly). It sucked. I don't think I could do it long term.
    The one time I had a 14mo, 4yo, 5yo and almost 7yo and 2 puppies that weren't quite house broken yet and was supposed to be packing to move. It was insane and I had a nervous breakdown trying to do everything on my own.
    I'm getting ready to do it again in another week or so. My husband is moving 2 1/2 hours away. I have a 9, 8, 7 and 3 year olds and I have to pack up to move to be with him. While getting them to and from school and classes every day. I am not looking forward to it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You get past it by sleeping when you are able to. No offense, but if you are run down and exhausted, then why are you up at 1:30 am? Go to bed :) The old saying, sleep when your baby sleeps, is good solid advice!
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 8:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't have any experience in this area, but one thing I have heard from people I know is to ask for help. Enlist neighbors, grandparents, anyone you trust and that is willing.
    I have also heard that it gets easier when they get older and start school.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009