Are fake nails really a luxury?

I just have to ask....I've worn mine short and polish-free for about 10 years now, mainly because I worked in restaurants while going to school.

But I read that you can get infections, bad ones, from acrylics! I love the look, and would love to get them but now I'm scared to! What are your experiences, good or bad. Are they hard to remove? Have you ever had an infection?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 1:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ive gotten my nails done for YEARS and never had anything remotely close to an infection from them....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I LOVED mine. I had to get rid of them because I am a potter. I had them for about three years and they do hurt when you have them removed for good because your nail is thinner due to the sanding and such. So your nail beds are more sensitive for a while after you get them removed. But if you like them and keep getting them done they should not hurt.
    I really miss my long fake nails.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• ive never got any infections either and i did pageants for years! but when you want to take them off yourself it can be painful and your real nails will look kinda ugly...when i would pull my off from time to time my real nails would be kinda flakey and brittle...and also have an indent from where the fake nail was. but if you keep them filled and kept up good you shouldnt have a problem!!! i dont get my nails done anymore...but i still get my pedis!!! :] can never give those up!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I used to get acrylics back when we had extra money, but then i got an infection my real nail started coming off my finger, the doctor felt it was because i had started cleaning not only my house but the house of a friend who was a single dad with 4 kids (he needed help poor guy), my hands were always in water and cleaners with gloves on but still it took its toll.

Now I cant even think of spending that kind of money on nails so I buy the revlon calcium nail gel it is great for hardening your nails and helping them grow out, i do my own french manicures at home and i have had people actually not believe that they were my own nails.

I think if you can afford the acrylics, and you dont have your hands in water or getting dirty all the time then go for it. I do daycare now so i wash my hands a million times a day and i am always cleaning so going natural works best for me now :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I do consider them a luxury because they're costly. (For me everything that's not needed for survival is costly at this moment.)

I did get an infection once. Never went back to that salon.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i have NEVER had an infection i found one salon that i go to and i trust them only cause i know that they are sanitary on my first visit they opened a box of tools if u will and all the tools were still in the package and clean... and after i left they put my name on the box mind u that was my first visit there and they already made a box for ME for everytime i go...
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I consider them a luxury. I mean, your creator gave you built in nails for free - and Sally Hansen created products to make them strong and pretty - for way less money that having set and fills done constantly. To me it's like saying "I just need a car to go to work in" then trying to convince me that a $55,000 SUV is "just a car".
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I've only put them on a few times. I don't like them because, although they look nice, they weaken your nails. I haven't gotten any infections, or heard of anyone who has. They're not a luxury to me, but to others, they just might be.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Back in the day I had acrylics and never washed many dishes but one day, I decided to remove them because they were getting on my nerves. I swear, they smelled underneath of the bed of the nail!! Smelled like ass and feet. Never againand yeah it does hurt the muscles or nerves under the nail. NOT WORTH IT!
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 4:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I heard of a mother dieing from a nail infection that she did not know she had and was young! So i just grow mine out and keep polish on them and if one breaks you might as well cut the rest cause they will be uneven and break too one at a time and in the skin too! At Holidays i get press on nails and carry the glue with me cause one will come off! When i was in High School i had a girl friend die from toxic shock syndrome from tampons so i quit those then!!! STOPPERS is what i call them and that is what they are and not normal for the flow to go!!!! If it kills, you don't need it!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2009