how do you discipline a three year old??

how do YOU discipline a 3 year old for hurting a baby? not an accident.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• immediately remove the older child from being around the baby. what was done to the baby? i'd go with time out and losing a fave tv show or something along those lines for a day. than after the punishment is over and done, talk about why it was done. if there is sibling rivalry (pretty likely) involved figure out a way to avoid it in the future. and make sure the older child is never left alone w/the baby again. try to involve the older child more in things, and spend more one on one time w/the older child than has been lately.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I know some parents are against this but if the 3 yr old knows better then I would spank them on the bum... AFTER tellin them not to do it and they continue to do such action, lol i helped raise both my nieces and i spanked both of them, They are NOT scared of me the actually prefer to come to me for everything even tho i live an hour away... and i spanked both of them... and did time out and took things away from them... of course they would throw a fit but if u enforce that i fit is NOT allowed then that will stop too... if he or she starts to throw such fit then i simply say " go throw ur fit somewhere else i don't need to see it" sorry but i am a firm person i hope this helps!!! good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i'm for spanking as well, but its hard for 3 yr olds to understand exactly what is going on when a new baby is brought home. so discipline is necessary, but i think spanking isn't called for here. that and spanking for physical violence kind of counteracts the fact that they shouldn't hurt someone.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Time out immediately! Say to him "I'm putting you in time out for X. No X" then have him sit for three minutes. At the end of the three minutes repeat "No X", give him a kiss, and move on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• in my house we do time out (minitues equal to age) for every day naughty stuff (like not listening or throwing stuff, etc.), but for serious stuff we have 10 minitue time out. and don't listen to the moms who are like o 10 minitues is way tooo long, blah blah blah.... if he gets a 10 minitue time out he knows that he has to explain to me what he did and why it was wrong (obviously i tell him at the start of the time out and he tells it back to me at the finish of it) and promise not to do it again. i have not had any repeat offenses for any serious stuff (knock on wood lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My boys are only 13 months apart. I kept the baby out of his brothers reach for a very long time. If this were my situation, I would use time out as I do for other things.
    Anonymous