Is it ok to take a new born out with me and DH for a couple hours?

just like to things such as the store.. or little things like that.. shes only 4 days old and im afraid to take her outside cause its soo cold out right now and im afraid of her getting sick. im also afraid of all the germs and things she will be exposed to :-/ i dont know if its a good idea to be taking her out when she's only 4 days old.. my MIL told me your not supposed to take them out very much the first month.. which i can understand but i dont wanna keep both of us cooped up in this apartment all the time either..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what your MIL says is very old school, shes been out when you took her home, she'll be out at her 2 week check up. just keep her away from obviously sick people, make sure she's warm (she can wear what you wear, if you need a jacket so does she etc...) she'll be fine, i took my first out the day we got home from the hospital to do grocery shopping, my second went out 4 days after for a bbq. as long as you make sure to take precautions she'll be fine.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Dress her warmly, don't have her out in the cold air for more than a minute or two and don't let strangers touch her or breathe on her. She will be alright.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• While I wouldn't be dragging her out every single day, back and forth, yadda yadda - yes, you can take her to the store. BE careful not to over dress her - you want her to stay warm but not get hot. It's the getting hot, then cold, then hot that makes them sick. Limit her outings in the first month (hell, in the winter months) but don't coop yourself up - she has a natural immunity that she was born with. You have common sense, don't let MIL make you second guess that. You'll do just fine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I took my daughter out at 6 days to go to Target because we needed some things for her and I hadn't left the house/hospital in ten days. She never had any problems from it. I think the next time she went out was probably 5 or 6 days after that. And then my husband had to go back to work and I had to go get my son from school, so we walked the block and a half to the school twice a day after that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my pediatrician told me to get DS out and about before it gets really cold and people start getting sick. I would get out as much as possible before it's too cold. if you have a carrier just put a blanket over it and don't let anyone your not comfortable with (that should be sick people, kids and strangers) touch or breath on her.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 3:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would recommend getting a wrap. Having your baby snuggled up against your chest not only keeps them warm, but also strangers aren't too excited to reach there and put their hands all over your kid. You avoid the whole breathing on them or wanting to touch their face. That is what I did with my son. If it was really chilly I would have the wrap on before we got out of the car and put him in there, then wrapped my coat around the both of us to head in out of the cold. Slept through everything every time.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009