hitting????

Did you ever hit your toddler a little too hard that you felt horrible??
Today i hit my 24 month old a little too hard it hurt my fingers...she also cried alot..i just dont kno what to do ive tried time and it dosent work....is it even ok to hit your toddler???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on what you hit her for. Was it a spanking, like you spatted her leg or did you smack her across her back, face, chest or something? There's a big difference between spanking and hitting. One is abuse the other is discipline, designed to be used as the last ditch effort with serious behavior. I mean I'd rather spank a child and have them afraid to walk out into traffic because they know they'll get a spanking, than to hope that I've reasoned with them well enough to trust that they won't walk out in front of a car - and I'm certainly not going to show a 3 year old a smushed dog on the highway as a way to 'reason' them into not walking into traffic, ya know.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• why did you hit her? Im not being rude at all... Im just trying to help you to figure out a better way to handle the situation... but I need more information. I think that there are other ways to get your child to listen... If you want, maybe I can suggest a few things that have worked for me... I have two children that from time to time, I too feel stressed and upset when they just dont listen!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• well i have a month old and she just loves tp pull his hair smak him on the face...if he is on the bed she will tyr and roll on him or jump on him..i just hit her on the leg...because she kept jumping on the bed where my son was i explained to her nicely why she couldnt jump...then i took her to time out...i got her out of time out and she kept doing it and thats when i taped her on the leg..i always try telling her why she cant do stuff if she still dosent listen she goes to time and if she still dont listen i tap her....if you have good advice..please help..i felt terrible for hitting her a little to hard but she just dont listen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have spanked my twins before and felt absolutely terrible afterwards. Spanking is not my number one form of discipline. In fact, I don't recommend it at all as discipline but like yourself I'm a human being who sometimes loses her cool in a situation.

When my boys are acting up and not listening I count out loud to three and if by three they're not doing as I've asked, I physically help them do whatever it is. Often times the counting, even just to three gives me a chance to breathe and stay calm.

I save time out for serious offenses like hitting, biting, and kicking. The rule of thumb is one minute per year of age. Say to her "I'm putting you in time out for X. No X" then at the end repeat "No X", give her a kiss and move on.

Specific praise when she is behaving will also go a long way. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't believe you should ever hit a child. The problem is that when you hit them when you're mad, how do they understand they can't hit others when they get mad? I can totally appreciate your frustration as well since my 2 yr old will do the same thing over and over.. I first warn him not to do it, then I try timeout (which I've had very limited success with since he thinks it's pretty funny when I keep putting him back into a chair, even when I'm giving him my "stern mommy" look). As a last resort, I will put him into his room and close the door. I've found that that seems to get the message through. I can then just threaten to put him up there.. However, I seldom do it as I'm concerned that he won't understand the distinction between being punished and being put into his bed at nighttime.. Also keep in mind that your 2 yr old is probably having adjustment issues. A bit more quality time with him might help..
    Anonymous