Should I stop my depression/bipolar meds and try to get pregnant?

I am currently taking meds for depression and bipolar disorder. The bipolar is not extreme, my doctor just wanted to help with my moods. I have to switch doctors due to insurance so I can't see the doctor I've gone to my whole life. I'm seriously considering just getting off the meds and trying to get pregnant with out going through all the doctor drama. They will probably want me to stay on something while I'm pregnant, but I'm not even sure I want to. Need advice....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I have read to increase your chances you should stop all drugs prescription and otc. But I wouldnt suggest it because it might have made a bigger change in you than you realize. On this website someone else asked a question about anti depressants and pregnancy. There are a ton of answers hope this helps :)
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080424201100AAEXj9Y
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• talk to your doc, there might be other meds you can go on that will not have an affect on getting pregnant...that way you are still able to take your meds AND try for a baby!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think this is something that you need to talk about with your doctor. Just to make sure you are emotionally ready. Sometimes people think that a baby will be utter bliss and fix some hurts or issues and they end up making more problems. Your doctor knows you and your situation best, if they think it is okay then go for it! Also there may be a lower dose of what you are taking that may be safe during pregnancy, just so you can come off slowly. I know I went through postpartum depression and came off my meds a lot sooner than I wanted to, and am wishing I would have discussed it more with my doctor and came off of them a little slower! What ever you choose good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Don't do something stupid like just go off your meds, thats a disaster waiting to happen, if you want to get pregnant do it the RIGHT way and go to your doctor first. There are some meds you can take while pregnant.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would be careful with this. Not all meds are safe during pregnancy and stopping them while not under a doctors care can be dangerous. I would for sure talk to you doctor about it before you do anything.
    lovemybabygirl7

Answer by lovemybabygirl7 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You should REALLY PM me! I've been dealing with this for the past 2 years (it's only been that long because I have secondary infertility). I'm Bipolar and actually went to a Reproductive Psychiatrist at Mass General regarding this exact issue--psych meds and planning a pregnancy. She's got me switching to meds that are safe and (so far) work really well. Either way, please, please don't go off of your meds without your doctor's supervision. Take it from someone who has lived the almost deadly, disastrous results.
    camdensmom06

Answer by camdensmom06 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Okay I didn't read the rest of the answers on here, but I did stay on my Zoloft throughout my TTC and pregnancy, and also afterward. My OB said it really helped me with my mood swings and postpartum depression. I think that if you need the meds (and obviously you do or else you wouldn't be prescribed them), you REALLY need to talk to your doc. The way you come off of these meds can be TERRIFYING. It can feel like coming off cocaine or other narcotics. BE CAREFUL!!!
    jessmikesophia

Answer by jessmikesophia at 9:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• P.S. I will fully respect your desire for anonymity.
    camdensmom06

Answer by camdensmom06 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think you should seriously discuss this with your doctor. Many woman have gone off med to become pregnant under a doctor's care. If your doctor tells you no, find a new doctor. It is your right to have children if you want them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would suggest no. There are plenty of safe antidepressants and mood stabilizer's you can take while pregnant and breastfeeding. Pregnancy really screws with your hormones and if you already suffer from depression/mood instability I wouldn't put an even bigger strain on your family by trying to tough it out.

I also take those medications and safely took them while pregnant with all 3 of my children and breastfeeding for 3 years. That is just a lot of stress to put your body through if you are already predisposed to mood disorders.

(((HUGS)))
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2009