around what age do kids start to use utensiles? And do any of you have tis problem or DID you?

When my daughter is being fed i try to get her to use her spoon and fork and she will hold the spoon and put it in her mouth but doesnt quite pick the food up and i try to show her but she still isnt getting the hang of it granted she is only 11 months old and i dont know if most children know how to feed themselves with utensiles at this age but im really trying to get her used to using them!!! He is really good about picking it up and putting it to her mouth she just doesnt get the food up with it lol and she would mush rather use her hands... and with foods that have meat sauces or cheese i dont like her using her hands cuz she wipes it on everythingLOL so i wind up feeding her. So my question is do any of you have this problem or DID you? And around what age do kids start using forks and spoons?

hthomas11388

Asked by hthomas11388 at 3:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All my kids have been so different. I don't remember their ages, but I know my firstborn was really slow!! He must have been well over 1, maybe 18 months? My daughter has just started to feed herself and is 1. She can only manage stuff that sticks to the spoon well!! Like mashed potatoes. It is funny to watch. It sounds like your daughter is doing great!! Oh, I put the food on the spoon, she can't do it herself yet. It's enough work to just get the spoon, WITH the food, into her mouth! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oh, she sounds very normal. My son first started trying to feed himself and was very messy with it at 18 months. My daughter is 20 months and isn't very good at using forks & spoons at all. She gets fed up and puts down her silverware and picks up the food. It just takes time and is very messy, but they will eventually have good enough coordination to do it.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009