should i be worried that my almost 8 month old cant set up on his own?

my son will be 8 months on the 17th of this month....should i be worried bc he cant set up on his own yet? is he just being lazy or is he not strong enough? he was a big baby and the doctors keep telling me he will when he is ready but im not sure....he has a weak stomach also pukes if i set him in his bombo or if he has pressure on his belly...even if it has been a couple hours after eating...please let me know someone...my mother in law..haha says he should be sitting up and i need to do something....

firstimemomm603

Asked by firstimemomm603 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son will be 8months on the 14th and he dont sit up either and im starting to worry he dont crawl either.......as for your question i have no clue since im in the same boat as you i want answers also maybe we can get some
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 4:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My mother laughs all the time and tells me how I couldn't sit up and would just fall right back over! :-) I will ask her later how old I was when I did. I know I was late (and I can sit up now!!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i hope so. mine wont crawl eaither he likes to lay on his belly to sleep but nothing else...really worries me i hope someone has answers for both of us....it makes things alot harder on me also..bc i cant cary a carseat into the stores and he wont set up and packing a stroller around so he can lay down is a pain.. he is a big baby though he is 24 and a half inches long and weight is 17 pounds..
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 4:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yeah my son sleeps on his bellie also he can roll over and is just know learing how to roll both ways......my son in 26inches and 19lb...he will get up on his knees and rock back and forth but wont crawl and my oldest son i belive was crawling at like 7months and rolling over both ways all the time i tell his doc but she is sooo busy she just brushes me on he has a new doc come nov so i hope i can get some answers and haveing this be my second child and seeing how my first develop compared to my second it kinda worrys me
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 5:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yeah the docs brush me off too...but he will roll over he does like a gator roll back and forth constinly... everything else is fine but that....i correct myself he is almost 3 foot and weight is 22 pounds but he also acts like he does not feel pain like he scratches his head all the time
    and makes it bleed and his face
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it at all. It isn't like he will be thirty and still need someone to hold him up. haha Babies will do things when they want to do things. Just keep nurturing him and loving him and encouraging him. He will. My son is seventh months and won't roll over. He has done it only two or three times ever and his doctor isn't worried about it and neither will I. I used to, but just come to accept that my son is an individual and should not have to conform to whatever every other kid is.

If he is thirty and still needs to be propped up on the couch, then we should worry. :P
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 5:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If you are worried about development you can google early intervention, and the name of your state. ex: early intervention florida. You will get the information for early intervention in your state. If the child is under 3 years old they come out to your house. First you get an evaluation, and then if your child needs a physical therapist, Occupational therapist, or speech therapist they will be sent to the house. Most times this is free, or on a sliding fee scale. There is a wide range of what babies do, and don't do. Big babies sometimes move slower because of all the wieght they have to move. A baby has a weak tummy could be exhibiting hypotonia, which is weak muscle tone. Try giving the baby more " tummy time " on the floor, so he has to work those muscles, instead of maybe holding him or her all the time, or placing them in seats. My son was born with problems and he was in early intervention before 2 months old.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would make the call to early intervention. They can decide, and in the meantime when the mother in law says anything you can knowingly say I am working with the professionals right now on his care and evaluation! Hey good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my dd is going to be 8 months on the 14th. she can sit up but falls over whenever she reaches for something. she doesnt crawl yet either...just starting to scoot and now gets up on her knees and rocks. she was born a month early though. dr says its normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Hmm.. I don't know.. I wouldn't worry -too much- about it. My 7 month old sits up unassisted, walks assisted, and pulls up and ATTEMPTS to cruise, but he still flops over sometimes while he's sitting or pulling. I think it's because babies have really big heads vs. the size of their torso and so they have balance issues.. It also could be a core-strength issue. How much time does baby spend in various devices? Not bashing, but, if it's a lot of time out of your arms or off the floor exercising it can cause a weak core. (Poster who said holding babies a lot is bad is wrong - that builds strength more than most things!) Look up ways to exercise with your baby, hold your baby a lot, and that should help. I would try out what PP said - getting a professional involved, but, they could find an issue where there is none -- babies develop at different rates and most doctors say "as long as there is steady PROGRESS, all is good".
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2009