Prenups...I need advice...

My QUESTION is: This will be my second marriage and my fiance's THIRD marriage...he says he is tired of "taking it in the shorts from women when there is a divorce" (He believes that the woman should ONLY get, in the event of divorce, the amount of money the she contributes to the relationship ( so if she where a SAHM she would get NOTHING) and he belives that I should get NONE of the equity on the HOUSE, Cars or anything he had prior to our marriage that he has been paying for ( I understand this part)...He wants me to sign a prenup that states that I would only be entitled to ( Bare in mind, I make $150.00 a week at McDonald's) whatever percentage my income contributes to as a whole to the overall income...he says he wants to be as mathmatically fair as possible to me. Is ths mathmatically fair? (Pls note: I have no savings and NO FAMILY to help me or to live with.)

valendars

Asked by valendars at 6:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• I personally believe that you shouldn't go into a marriage already planning your divorce, but that's just me.

Answer by missanc at 7:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, I agree with miss. Also, are the kids yours and his? If you guys have kids together, then this set-up is completely unfair. If the kids you are a mother to are yours and yours alone, then he has justification in my mind. I would seek out a marriage/divorce lawyer in your area that caters to women before signing or agreeing to anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• IMO If there's a prenup, there's no trust. When I divorced my ex he left with nothing but what he bought, his truck and furniture. He didn't get any of my inheritance. I didn't truly love him because if I had I would have never divorced him, and shared everything with him. When I met my Hubby now I have shared everything with him and he has shared everything with me. No questions. We're in it together in every way. That's how it should be. So think long and hard on this one. He seems very selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think prenups are a guarantee for a failed marriage. If he insists on having one, I would just tell him good-bye.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Prenups are fine for people like yourself. I would recommend prenups for senior citizens in conjuction with a will that spells out what gets passed to the kids and what the spouse gets.  I don't quite understand the arraignment on this one. Will you be doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning. Will you be doing the step-mom thing for his children? Has he added in the value of all these services? Or is he so hung up on the $$$ that he doesn't remember about the value? In my mind if he wants to protect his house fine. But you are entitled to half of every penny he makes after you are married. Maybe you should look into a graduated system where if you are married less than 1 yr you get nothing, married 3 years you get 30%, married 5 yr you get your half.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Unless there are extremely large amounts of money involved I would never agree to a prenup. A recipe for failure. I can see him asking for you to agree that the house/cars etc remain his, but that's where i would draw the line.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2009