Did you ever run over your childs kitty by accident?

We just got a kitty 3 weeks ago and the kids liked it.It was deaf and would crawl under my van.Well I am usually careful and pull out of the driveway slow in case it is under there but yest I was in a hurry and ended up running over it.I felt horrible!!

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, I have run over kitties and worse. We used to have several cats and they would crawl up in the engine compartment of the car to sleep. Sometimes, I would remember to bang on the car to wake them and scare them out, but sometimes, I forgot. I have mortally wounded several cats in my time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It's never happened to me because I haven't had a cat since I was little. I'm so sorry that happened. If you ever get them another one, I hope it will be an indoor kitty. Too many things can happen to outdoor cats. :(
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• So sad- I'm so sorry that happened! It has never happened to me but I do have two friends who ran over their dogs- in both cases they were backing up when the dog dodged behind the car too low to be seen in the mirror. They also felt terrible! So you're not the only one.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• no. I never did. But my next door neighbor did when I was living at home still. He ran over my kitten. he said he didn't see him under his car.. He told me he was sorry. All the kids in my neighborhoon were all so mads at him.. (neughbor). I was so upset that day.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No, my cats are indoor cats. My sil, and my late grandmother both have outside cats- and unfortunately they have done that.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I've had two cats get run over- its never easy. the first one was a stray that I had adopted when I was about 9, and my Grandma ran over. The second one was an indoor/outdoor cat I had that got hit by some heartless jerk going way to fast down my road. I'm sorry this happened :( How did your children take it?
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes a couple months ago. I had no idea it happened. DH called me later and told me he thinks I ran over her she was in the driveway, I felt so bad. I love cats. She couldn't walk, her legs were fighting each other. She didn't make it and I never saw her after it happened. When DD got home from school I told her that her kitty got hit by a car and she died. I just left out that I did it. I felt bad enough telling her it happened.

Anonymous