I swear he smiled at me this morning!

I was talking to my 10day old son an i swear he looked at me an smiled! Is this possibale

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course it's possible! Experts used to dismiss early smiles as gas, but recent studies have shown that babies are born with the ability to smile, usually at Mommy. How cute, congrats on the first smile!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Smiles are a learned behavior. You probably did see his first smile, and your reaction will reinforce it. He may have just been flexing his mouth, but your reaction is how he learns to repeat the action (as well as from seeing you smile). I swear my nephew was smiling that young too. Some kids just seem to be born with a smile and smile all the time :) Looks like you've got a regular Guy Smiley on your hands!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure its considered a "learn behavior" anymore since its been discovered babies smile in the womb.

I've got pictures of my 14 day old baby smiling. It wasnt just a one time thing, he did it every time he kicked in the bassinet making his mobile jingle.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• it just keeps getting better wait until i love you mommy
    lisasara

Answer by lisasara at 12:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, it's possible! Both of my babies smiled that early!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009