What is a "mama's boy?"

I think I'm dating one but I'm not really sure what it means! My friends and family comment that he's a mama's boy when I talk about him sometimes... How would you define it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• I think that phrase means different things to different people. It is not necessarily a negative one. It can mean that he simply loves and respects his mother and that he wants to help her when she needs help. That can be a very threatening thing to a woman who has tendencies of jealousy and wants the man's totally undivided attention all for herself. Were I you, I would not listen to what your friends say about your fellar, but I would watch and decide for myself whether or not I thought he had an unhealthy relationship with his mother. If all he's doing is trying to take care of her and help her when she needs it, that's a very positive thing. If he is too dependent on her approval and you see him being controlled by her, you might want to look somewhere else for a boyfriend.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Jumping every time his mom says jump and asking how high.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• When they live at home with their Mom, have to have everything done for them, doesn't know how to do laundry, cook, clean, and relies on a woman for all of it. Because had she taught him as a child and not did all of it for him he could do it, so that makes him a Mommas boy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• -Someone who easily lets their mother have some control over their lives, even though they are adults. -An adult male who needs to find comfort in their mother a bit too much for their age. - A man who talks to their mother on a regular basis & tells them EVERYTHING, including stuff that most grown men would not discuss w/ their mother. - A man who is still overly dependant on their mother. - A man who's mother spoiled him to the pont where he cannot do anything for himself & depends on either his mother, girlfriend, or wife to do it all for him. Pretty much, a man who is not independant & still hangs on to the whole mother/son relationship in some way shape or form.

I disagree w/ nannyB. My Fiance has nothing but respect & love for his mother. Has never been rude to her ever. But, he is extremely independant & does not rely on his mom or me to play mommy at all. I would not consider SO a mommy's boy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My brothers love and respect my mom. But not one of them is a momma's boy.But if she ever need anything they will help her.But their wives make them go in slo mo.My husband is a momma's boyThe difference is timing and speed in helping their mothers out.. He will leave me alone at night to bring her to the store. To clean out stuff. I really can not complain because I can never compete with the love of a mil. SHe treats me like a daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think there is a "good" mamas boy and a "bad" one. To me, a good one loves his mom, helps her when she needs help and has respect for her, therefore has respect for other women. The "bad" ones are the ones, who can't take care of themselves, screw up all the time and run back to mama when he needs her to clean up his messes. In this situation the mom is usually the enabler, blaming everyone else for her son's behavior, or if he is in a relationship, she will blame the woman for all the troubles. JMO
    Anonymous