Shoes or no shoes

My son loves to walk holding onto someones hands. He has also taken a few steps on his own. Should he be wearing shoes while trying to learn to walk? Does it matter either way?

J.P

Asked by J.P at 8:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, actually walking in bare feet helps their muscles to work and grow. I asked my pediatrician that same question and that was his answer to me ;)

But when he gets good enough to walk outside or in a store....SHOES....I hate to see a kid walking around walmart barefoot....lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with mom2twobabes!!!
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No shoes...they learn balance by using their toes. Shoes can hinder their learning at this stage...When you start using shoes (in stores and such) you want to get ones that have a flexible sole, like a moccosin (they have these in the infant section) so that the shoe conforms to the foot (unlike hard sole shoes).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• no shoes
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Shoes are for walking outside so he doesn't step on anything. If he's going to walk in the park or something then get him some, but if it's just at home or inside then just a good pair of non-slip socks or slippers are fine.

On a related note, I've found that you can get walking shoes for new walkers at Payless that work just as well as the expensive ones at Stride Rite. We had a PT tell us not to bother with Stride Rite because they tend to sell you shoes that are too big, and their shoes are no better than the cheaper ones. As long as it has a high top and a flexible sole it's fine. I got the payless once for my son and he was fine in them. He's an expert walker now at 14 months and has been since 12 months.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I always used the Robeez type shoes at that stage. (I got the $12 Target kind or bought them on Ebay). Maybe if my kids started walking in the summer I would have let them go barefoot, but I didn't want them to get too cold. Plus they need something for outside or even just out at other places.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I say no shoes. I think it gives their feet time to build muscle. Get the think socks that have the skid free things on the bottom. I loved Old Navy's-they were 3 in a pack.

Evene in teh beginning when he was learning to walk outdoors he still had socks on. When he was more sure of his walking he actually handed me his shoes. He was so proud to wear them and walk around the house.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2009