i'm taking prenatal vitamins and i was wondering if i needed to take any other vitamins with that?

sunnystuff

Asked by sunnystuff at 8:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I heard you should take folicacid.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Talk to your doctor or health care provider. Depending on your diet, and how far along you are they might have some additional suggestions. I personally am a big fan of just really making sure you are eating properly along with the vitamins. But sometimes the extra vitamins can help, for example, if you have morning sickness, you might try some B6.
    gacgbaker

Answer by gacgbaker at 8:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If your vitamin does not contain folic acid then you should get a supplement. Also taking the vitamins at night before bed, will reduce stomach upset
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Folic acid. Take a kids chewable they have plenty of vitamins and extra folic acid pills if you can. Most people that have problems taking vitamins are told to take children's chewable tablets.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 9:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm taking a prenatal (OTC) and iron and Omega 3.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 9:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Iron is good because meny get low iron counts when prego.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Omega 3's.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 10:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• As most of the other posts state, folic acid is important, so is iron, DHA, calcium, and B6 may help with nausea. If you want to get all of these in one vitamin you can try S7 Prenatal Drink Mix. it's a great tasting vitamin in a drink. You can get it online from the website at www.drinkS7.com.
    mcguirebeth

Answer by mcguirebeth at 11:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• When I was prego and SO nauseous, my OB told me to take 25 mg of Vitamin B6 three times a day. Unfortunately, the smallest dose in a pill is 50 mg, so I had to cut up my B6 - it flew all over the kitchen! Your best bet is to make sure your prenatal already contains 25 mg of B6 - then at least one dose is taken care of. I know S7 Prenatal Drink Mix (www.drinkS7.com) has that amount, plus one of the prescription prenatals out there - Duet?
    TheNutritionist

Answer by TheNutritionist at 12:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2009