I need mealtime help!

DS who will be 3 in Dec is very little for his age. (26lbs max). I swear the kid could care less about food. During meals he will take the forst couple bites and then just sit and talk and is just fidgety. I have to constantly tell him to take a bite or either feed him myself. No lie it takes us a good 45-60 mins to get a decent meal in him. If we didn't feed him 3/4 of his meal he would only it like 4 bites at each meal. I HATE mealtime! I feel like I am stuck though b/c I want him to eat by himelf and not have to feed him but I don't want him losing weight if he only eats 4-5 bites. Yesterday he had 1/2 egg sand. 3/4 PB&J sand, 4oz of yogurt and 3/4 of a hotdog, plus 16oz of milk and 8oz of juice all day. ( this is not our normal menu we usually eat fairly heatlhy but yesterday was an exception) We fed him 3/4 of all of that! What do I do I am so annoyed and dread meals!

dec06mom

Asked by dec06mom at 9:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you offer snacks in between? If so, opt for fruits and veggies or even more yogurt. Leave dry cereal out all the time for him to snack on like Cheerios or chex. Will he eat cheese for a snack? or even peanuts (unsalted). Try to think of a day as 5-6 small meals rather than 3 main meals. By getting him to eat throughout the day you may get more food into him than only offering 3 times a day. And 4-5 bites may be filling him up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ugh! I know exactly what you're going through. My daughter is 3 and is exactly the same way. Unfortunately we haven't found a solution yet either. Good luck!
    MamaApril2

Answer by MamaApril2 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Milk is filling, and so is juice. I think, and I mean think the requirements for juice is only 4 ounces. Hey what is 2 ounces more or less, the kid is not eating much? I saw a lady on TV that would put out a relish tray of veggies, cheese, fruits, and keep it out when she was preparing dinner. That way the kids could snack, and if they didn't like the califlower, or broccoli they got veggies. I hate pickey eaters, one of my sons is one, so I feel your pain. Could it be an attention getting device? Instead of feeding him or her, tell your little one we are reading a story after lunch. If they don't eat don't feed them. Say come on, I want to see what little bear does in the story but I cant read it until you finish your lunch. See if that helps. Your child gets attention in a different way. Just a thought. Also try giving more water during the day instead of all the milk. A child drinking a full glass of milk is too full to ea
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have a small 3 yo. At first I swore she had he same condition as my son who has a thyroid disease and does not make his own HGH. We no longer fight with her. She's just pushing 30 pounds at 3 1/2. Our house rule for everyone is 3 bites of everything served. I have found even if she's a poor eater peaches, strawberries and bread are things she'll eat willingly. So after three bites of each meal item if she stops eating I'll give her some of what I know she'll eat. She also gets a banana, mixed fruit smoothie everynight and usually I give her one carnations a day. Maybe not the best way to go but I refuse to force my child to finish her food.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We're sort of in the same boat, my SS is almost 4 and just finally made it to 28 lbs. His father is about 145 lbs at 6'1", so we know where he gets it.
    I started giving him some instant breakfast mixed into his milk, and also his oatmeal at breakfast. We already had been adding peanut butter, now he gets pb and chocolate oats. Not my taste...but then I'm not the one eating it either.
    He's got a fairly good appeitite, (I give up trying to spell that lol) and there are things that he'll almost eat his weight in. He's healthy as a horse, and the people at the wic office have finally realized that he's just a skinny kid. He is about 39" tall, it could be worse I suppose. His cousin is 18 months...almost the same weight...but alot shorter.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think most toddlers go through this. I have 5 kids and every one of them went through this. I was concerned and called our ped. They told me not to worry. She said kids that age can survive and be healthy on 1 tsp of food per every yr old they are a day. So a 3 yr old can eat 3 bites of Cheerio's and grow and be healthy. Don't worry, don't force feed, keep snacks and junk to a minimum and this too shall pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2009