Praying question

Is there really a right and a wrong way to pray?? I've heard that it dosent matter as long as well pray, then I've heard you have to use the right words.. If so what are the right words to use, I listen to what others say and use some of the same words, " heavnly father, amen" etc. Thank you

my4kids97

Asked by my4kids97 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I talk to God as if he is my best friend and companion since that is what he is...there is never a 'special' time in my day that I pray since I do it so often...sometimes under my breath, sometimes in my head, and sometimes I kneel...it is just what is convienient at the time for where I am. Even though he knows all, he isn't concieted enough to allow me to tell him about my day and act as if he already knows. There is really no 'special' way to pray...you just do what you are driven to do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• There is no right or wrong way. If you need rote prayers to help you concentrate then by all means do that. if you just want to talk to him do that. Pray the way it feels right for you. As for me I do both.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I pray like I am talking to someone sitting next to me
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with first two responders. Many many moms on cm have guided me in where I should pray, how. I grew up being taught and practicing prayer only in church. But being grownup I want prayer in my life not only on Sundays. I was shocked when I received so much encouragement to pray when and where it's right for me and how to also.

Speak your words softly or loudly with published prayer or your own words of prayer. What's helped me pray is realizing that for me, praying for guidance in my life, others lives for paths of safety, better health, rest for someone restless in their lives.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• There is no right or wrong way to talk to God. The Bible says He knows your heart. As long as you speak from your heart, he will hear you. That being said, the Bible also says there is power in the scriptures. If you include a scripture in your prayer, it has more authority and will be more likely to get results. I wonderful book for married people is "The Power of Prayer to Change Your Marriage" by Stormie Omartian. Not only does it contain beautiful prayers to help repair and strengthen your marriage, but it also includes scriptures in the prayer. This not only makes your prayers more powerful, but can also teach you how to start praying with the scriptures.

You can buy the book at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Prayer-Change-Your-Marriage/dp/0736925155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254923604&sr=1-1
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• O.K. I don't believe it has to do with our words but our heart attitude. Prayer is communication with God. But we do have to remember He is God, the almight God of the universe. Too often people approach him as some cosmic gumball machine. Just put in the right amount of prayers and push the button with the right words and we get what we want. That's not how it works. God if far more concerned with our heart attitude than our circumstances.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• people recite the lords prayer but in the bible it says not to be redundent. so i think that is wrong. prayer is to be sincere and heart felt. you thank him for the blessings and you ask for blessings. when you get closer to god through prayers it can be like conversations.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Some people believe that established prayers are better because it has the power of all the people who have said it behind them. Most, however, believe that as long as you are speaking with respect to your god(s) you are in the clear.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The Bible says we don't know how to pray at all, that the Holy Spirit makes intercession for us (Romans 8:26,27). As long as we pray with a believing,clean, and sincere heart He will hear us.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• To me it depends on what is going on. I at times use the Lords prayer as an out line. But then there are times when I talk to God as I would a Dad or friend. It is OK to say it using the words we hear others use. God has many names and the "need" at the time has a lot to do with how I pray. Just keep your mind open to the one true God The Father, believe in Jesus who is God the Son and let God the Holy Spirit lead you as you should go.

ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 9:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009