why...need to vent about 15 -4 oz bottles

i posted a question a few days ago and ask what i could do about my girls drinking 15 -4 oz bottles and a few people were so rude.

that said don't ask questions like this on a website.
THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON CAFE MOM!!!!
are we not all here to get advice and help each other out?

. I have an appt for her to go to the dr on Friday. I would just like to hear a few different ideas to have an idea of what to talk to dr about. i have increased her bottle to 6 oz but she then over eats and spits it up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why not increase it to 4 1/2 or 5 first. Sometimes those two oz can be a lot. Ignore the rude ppl on this site. Im also sick of woman being nasty. Its one thing to get an opinion that is straight forward but bashing isnt necessary and very immature.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Keep in mind that her tummy is really only as big as her fist so 6 oz may just be too much. 15 bottles in a 24 hours period is really not that bad...maybe up it a 1/2 oz at at time instead?

How old is she?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• she is 2 months old.....about 10 lbs... if i give her more then 4 she will spit it all back up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I went through the same thing - my girl is just now starting to eat more than 4oz at a time - she is 5 months old!
    If i gave her more I would just get it back! I think that you just have to feed them when they are hungry and it eventually balances out as they are able to metabolize more.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• try burping her after 4 ounces, make sure she burps, and try 2 more. Good Luck.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son did the same thing. Burp here more often when you are feeding her. Alot of the time they spit up because the bilk is sitting on top of the bubble they got coming up. My son was the same way. He was 2 months and drinking 4oz every couple of hours. I went up to 6 and he would spit up if i didnt burp him more often. Starting out with the 6oz i would make the 6 but would make sure he ate at least 5 and if he didnt take the rest then that was ok. Going up 2oz might be to much at one time. My son was able to do it but my friends could only go up an oz at a time. And like another poster said dont worry about the rude people on here. Just ignore them and someone will help you with what you need. Good luck
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Does she eat ALL 4 oz in those 15?

That's 60 oz of formula. That's a -lot- of formula.

I recommend you ask the doctor if maybe she's not absorbing all of the nutrients or if you need to switch formulas. That just seems like a -lot- of formula to -me- .. My one little schedule handout I have about starting solids (I breastfeed) says that babies should get like 28-40 oz of formula.. maybe it's because the baby is starting solids, but, I don't think so because it says "continue to get as much as they were getting, solids are for the experience at this point"

If 60 oz IS normal .. I wouldn't increase the size of the bottle.. My breastfed son almost never (aside during growth spurts) eats more than 4 oz at a time when his daddy watches him and he's 7 months old. When he was 2 months old he only ate 1-2 oz at a time.. they have little tummies..
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Or burp more I guess. Are you burping her several times during the bottle? Have you tried -different bottles- ? Some kids suck more air.

And another possibility with eating that much is her tummy hurts. Babies will eat and eat and eat sometimes if their tummies hurt cause in their mind that'll help.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think I answered your question before but at that age, they should be drinking smaller amounts more often...they have very weak digestive systems and formula is quite hard to digest...try giving 2 ounces every 2 hours...that's about the amount of time it takes to digest...good luck at the doctors and I think that it way too much formula to be giving...if she's still acting hungry then give her a binky..babies have a natural need to suck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Hey, I didn't see your original question, but I'll add someinput to this one. Sorry if it's repeat info. Consider that your childs tummy is quite small. It's easy to fill up. My daughter was taking 7 oz bottles when my coworkers daughter was still taking 4 ozers more often. So it might just be a matter of waiting for the tummy to grow. Try increasing the amount of milk slowly by about half an ounce. It might also be about burping so any air bubbles are out of the way.

I'm concerned bout the volume of milk though. That's 60 oz a day? IS that correct? Is she growing normal? Definately ask the doctor if this is the case. My friend had a hole in her heart and was taking that much if not more milk and barely keeping up with the weight gain. They had to do surgery becuase all of her energy was going towards pumping her heart rather than growing. I know that's extreme, but there could be other issues. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009