How will you know if your kid is pretending to be sick?

My dd is saying her tummy hurts earlier in the week she did have fever we got over that now the school nurse is saying that she is hearing some kind of congestion in her lung, She already came home from school on Monday I don't want her to think that just bc she goes to the nurse she is going to get to come home and her dad already talked to her about pulling this stunt. I don't know what to do but to take her to the doctor...but why so he can tell me what I already know :(

I don't know what to do? Sometime it is hard to get in the dr.'s office at the spur of the moment they are so booked half the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Congestion in your dd lung/s is not pretending in addition to a recent fever if it made her hot and less active.

I've had school nurses who do not have stethoscopes tell me my kids are congested and other times school nurses with stethoscopes tell me they are congested. School nurses are usually quite good at detecting a concern of a child's health and that child being exposed to more germs for themselves and giving off themselves germs to others.

A congested cough doesn't mean a lung is congested. A congested lung is more serious than a congested cough. I'd get an appointment and tell the appointment desk that school nurse said your dd lung(s) is congested and get to doctor. If her lung(s) is/are congested delaying could compound pneumonia. My dd has had pneumonia plus has asthma. We're unfortunately familiar with lung sicknesses.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• OH those lil boogers can fib about being sick too! lol You just have to trust your instincts. I can look into my dd's eyes and just tell when she is sick. Usually not eating and a fever are good indications that they are sick.

You can try this. When I need some info from my pediatrician's office, I call to talk to a nurse and see what she recommends first. They get out my kids chart and tell me what over the counter meds to get, or when to come in. BUT I have had the same ped for all three of my kids for 9 years, so they know me, and will tell me. Usually, instead of overbooking their offices, they might help you over the phone.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't think your daughter if making up her illness. When my dd was little she kept saying she was sick and I worked far from home so the school would call my mom. One day dd said to my mom that she really liked spending the day with mama-then we knew she she wasn't really sick.LOL She just didn't get to see g-ma enough except when she was sick at school! I think you just need to trust the nurse and your instincts in this case.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• She can't fake congestion in her lungs!
    Anonymous

• I agree that the congestion should be checked out but in the future when she 'claims' to be sick you simply keep her home. in bed not to leave. 'sick kids need rest and don't get to play' Give her boring chicken stock for lunch and no snacks. 'Sick kids need to be careful what they eat. no t.v. 'Sick kids need quiet rest with plenty of sleep' Make it the worst not so sick after all day ever. By the next day she will be bored and hungry and lonely...ready for class.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 7:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2009