Are Satanists Pagan? (for pagans)

In my opinion there are 2 types of Satanist. The first is a member of the Church of Satan and is generally considered to be Pagan. The second is one that actually worships the Christian deity of Satan. And are generally considered to be Christian because they hold the same beliefs as Christians just in reverse...

This came up on another site though because one of my Satanist friends was refused entry to a Pagan Pride Day Celebration in NYC because he is a Satanist, as in Chruch of Satan. He knows that many of his fellow Satanists tend to reject the title of Pagan, he however imbraces it...

So, in your opinion are Satanists Pagan? And should the be rejected from the PPD Celebrations?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To answer your second question first, I don't think anyone should be rejected from PPD celebrations. Rejection from other religions is what brought a lot of us to this path.
    As to whether your friend is Pagan, I'm not certain. The easy answer is that a Pagan is anyone who is not either an athiest, agnostic or a member of one of the 3 Abrahamic faiths, ie Jewish, Muslim or Christian. Certainly a practicing member of the Church of Satan is not a Neo-Pagan in the classic sense, but they fit the broad defination...
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It always amuses me how certain groups of pagans will fight tooth and nail to include ANYONE who isn't Christian in their ranks, whether the people their including want to be there or not, until it's a Satanist, and then suddenly they have standards.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have to agree with pagan_mama above!!

Why would they not let him participate?? That' nuts!! I mean I have gone to gay pride celebrations when I was in college - and I am not gay. If someone is supportive of your pride celebration aren't they helping your cause?? Seems like the event organizers don't have their priorities straight!! That's just to bad for all!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think an individual can self-identify any way they want, and it's as ridiculous for a pagan organization to determine who can and cannot self-identify with paganism as it is for Christians to say whether or not someone else is walking with God based on their own interpreatation of the Bible. I've always seen pagan as being very compatible with other belief systems and I know Buddhist-pagans, COS-pagans, Luciferian-pagans and even a couple of Christian-pagans.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• What sort of Pagan group tells a person they can not participate? That is wrong on so many levels. Those event organizers have sticks up their keesters if you ask me. Tell him to come on out here to Western Washington, we have people from as many paths of Pagan that we can get. Heck our last meet up was led by a Satanist. It was very enlightening to learn more about another branch of Paganism. We leave it up to the individual NOT the group to decide if they WANT to be a part of Paganism. Those organizers slapped a label on your friend and they should know better.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• "Christian" means a follower of Jesus Christ. There is no such thing as a "Christian-pagan". Now, I understand anyone can call their self any thing that they want, but it still doesn't make it so. And that, of course, also goes for what the OP said about those who worship Satan trying to also use the name "Christian" in their title. I met a person who said she was Christian and a pagan. That is not possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Satan is a christian construct ergo anyone who identifies as a satanist is part of christianity. Now you can be part of christianity and also practice paganism, I know several christian witches, so he could be a satanist and a pagan but I don't consider satanism to be a pagan religion. Make sense?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Anonymous, a satanist is not the same thing as a Christian Pagan. And why is it not possible to be a Christian pagan?

NotteStellata

Answer by NotteStellata at 12:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• In my Pagan belief it is impossible for me to worship Satan because I do not believe in him.
    But considering the definition of Pagan, yes, Satanists are Pagan. But keep in mind, that there
    are many different forms of Paganism, just as there are Baptists, Methodists, Protestant, Catholic, etc. Each has a different belief system, though they all fall under the label of Christianity.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Definitions of pagan on the Web:

heathen: a person who does not acknowledge your god
    a person who follows a polytheistic or pre-Christian religion (not a Christian or Muslim or Jew)
    hedonist: someone motivated by desires for sensual pleasures
    heathen: not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam

Definitions of christian on the Web:

relating to or characteristic of Christianity; "Christian rites"
    a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
    following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ
    Anonymous