Have you ever induced labor yourself?

I have 4 children and i broke my own water with 3, they are all very healthy and happy babies. I was wondering if im the only person and what others opinion is of this act?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No I didn't have to since my son was preemie. I also must admit people that are trying to stimulate labor BEFORE 40 weeks p*ss me off. Now obvious exceptions are GD, pre-e, but someone with a 100% healthy pregnancy who is just "tired of being pregnant" irks the hell out of me. I would have done ANYTHING for even 1 more week. AGH.

Anyway I'm not saying OP rushed things but I would be scared of breaking my own water, prolapsed cord and infection comes to mind rather quickly. I can understand sex, spicy food, bumpy rides, warm baths, and nipple stimulation. But not castor oil and similar remedies because they can go very wrong. The manager at my old job was at work when his g/f decided to take castor oil, she had their baby in the backseat of a car... yeah don't think that went how she planned. lol Or my friend did it, puked and got the poos nothing more.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Personally, I think you are very lucky that your children were born healthy. I really don't understand why anyone who is less than 41 weeks, would want to induce labor before their child is ready to come out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Over due everytime....not early!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• hi op. How did you break it yourself, what do you mean?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• amnio-hook/ vaginal stimulation, same way a mid wife or doc would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I tried to with castor oil (ew!), spicy foods, sex, lots of walking, being driven over bumpy roads (LOL), and even more sex, but to no avail.
    All 3 of my children had to be induced. My first one was induced at 43 weeks, my second at 42 weeks, and my third was induced just 4 days shy of 40 weeks because of GD and the size of my second (10 lbs).
    How did you break your own waters?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oops....I see you answered my question while I was typing my answer.
    Wow!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

• you are brave momma!!! This is just really strange to me, never heard of it before. How the heck did you aim the thing right, actually probably your partner did that. But still no that is something I would never do. Glad you're ok and baby too. Just curious, you didn't want to use even a midwife if against obs?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• have an ob, delivered at hospital and husband and doc have no idea, i never told them, i did it myself in a very, very clean bathroom. It was easy to find only one place to go that far along. I watched the doc do it with my first 10 lb baby. It was easy after that no complications or infections. Had the babies in less than 4 hours after water broke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My MIL induced herself my massaging her nipples. Her doc told her to do it, and she was only 36 wks along! Her doc was going on vacation for a 3 wks, and she was scared that someone else would deliver her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2009