Anyone get BAD sciatica after delivery?

I had my son almost 3 weeks ago. Right after, I started having this terrible, sharp pain in my hip that shoots up my back and down my leg EVERYTIME I step on my right leg (any pressure). The weird thing is, it's EXACTLY where I felt all my contractions. I had back labor. Now everytime I step, well..it kinda feels like when I was in labor - my mom said I let out the same moan I did when I walk like when I was in labor. I went to the ER and they gave me Motrin and Steroids. I have finished the steroids today and still woke up and the same pain. I talked to a nurse at the Newborn Nursery & she said it's delivery pains.

I have tried everything-nothing seems to help. The Dr. said this is normal, it's the sciatic nerve and it will probably flare up from time to time alot of women get this after having a baby. Did anyone else have this problem and if so - did it ever completely go away or how did you deal with the pain?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hello Maya,
    I had back labor with my 3rd child and the epi only worked on my right half so I still felt the sciatic pain shooting down my left leg and all the pain in my back. It was horrible!
    I will tell you that in most cases sciatica seems to resolve itself, but if you have a sympathetic primary care physician who will write you a referral for therapy, please ask. The types of exercises will help a lot.
    I will tell you that if the pain does not resolve between 6-12 months, then you should see an orthopaedic specialist to have a CT scan or MRI done to find out if something is compressing your sciatic nerve that they will have to repair.
    I wish you all the best. Enjoy your new baby! ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I had horrible sciatic when I was pregant with my daughter. After I had her it wasn't as bad, but it was still pretty bad. My doctor told me that since I was really skinny before I had her and than I gain a much of weight (which was only 35 pounds but that is a lot when you were 110) so fast that my sciatic nerve got strenched. It probaly took a good 3 months for the pain to start going away. You have to think what you body just went through it going to take a while to get back to normal. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Just take advantage that your baby is unmoblie right now and just take it easy!! I know it's a little harder to do that, but just chill out with your baby and soak it all in... they grow WAY to fast you will soon know. Well hopefully you start feeling better soon!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009