anyone ever heard of being induced like this?

i am being induced friday i live in germany because of hubby being in the airforce and the doctor told me the way they do it is i drink something that causes contractions. He said that sometimes with this kind of a thing it could be all day or two days. But he also said with this being my 4th and me already being 2 cm dilated that he thinks i should have him friday. Has anyone had this done before?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I moved back home while I was pregnant and my husband was deployed, so I did not go through this, but my friend did. She drank it and 2 hours later her daughter was born. The doctor said it was very unusual for it to go that fast, but not unheard of. Good Luck and Congrats!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I remember from one of my stress tests for my first baby that drinking oj during the test made contraction come on. Do you know any other moms there who've had this doctor, is it a military ob or German town ob? jmo I'd follow his advice only if other moms you know there with that doctor who is suggesting it to you, have done it before.

Congratulations Mommy!!! I bet the older three are excited!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• what is it? i would do my research on it, but my feeling is that in germany they probably do less with the dangerous drugs that aren't approved for induction so maybe that's why they don't do pitocin or cytotec. that's just a guess though so i would definitely look it up. good luck :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• which hospital are you going to? I went to wittlich and my dr only uses petocin for contraction stress tests .... we were talking about inducing me and I was gonna get the cervical gel and then the cocktail. The cocktail is all natural... its an oil and a homeopathic herb with some juices and some sparkleing cider/wine of some sort .... its perfectly safe!
    ask if they will do the gel too.
    seeing as though youre already dilated....you should progress pretty well.......
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i'm going to bitburg thanks for the heads up i know they said that they thought i would have him by that night so i am hopeful. Do you know what kind of pain meds you can get?
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• you can get ANY pain meds you want .. you just have to be strong and tell them what you want!
    they start with the homeopathic meds.. they are little "cottonball" looking things that you suck on...
    they will also give you a shot and/or an IV (I believe its comparable to our demerol)... and last but not least .. they do epidurals...
    they prefer not to do an epi (infact until they saw us americans, they rarely did one) .... but you can get one if you ask .....
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• you can also get a spinal block .. but beware, they may be hesitant ............. as would I in a normal vaginal delivery ......... cuz they wear off in only a few short hours... (I had a spinal for my csection and it was worn off within 2 hrs)
    SaraM0412

Answer by SaraM0412 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i really dont want the epidural i've heard stories of how they are in germany. I think i will go with the first 2. I just hoping i am not in labor all day. The doctor told me that he thinks i should have him by that night by that some people can go until sunday. But that with me having 3 other kids he should come fast so i am hopeful. Thanks alot for the info.
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009