Sciatica after delivery?

I had my son almost 3 weeks ago. Right after, I started having this terrible, sharp pain in my hip that shoots up my back and down my leg EVERYTIME I step on my right leg (any pressure). The weird thing is, it's EXACTLY where I felt all my contractions. I had back labor. Now everytime I step, well..it kinda feels like when I was in labor - my mom said I let out the same moan I did when I walk like when I was in labor. I went to the ER and they gave me Motrin and Steroids. I have finished the steroids today and still woke up and the same pain. I talked to a nurse at the Newborn Nursery & she said it's delivery pains.

I have tried everything-nothing seems to help. The Dr. said this is normal, it's the sciatic nerve and it will probably flare up from time to time alot of women get this after having a baby. Did anyone else have this problem and if so - did it ever completely go away or how did you deal with the pain?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Chiropractor! Pronto! :)

My chiropractor has cured me of many back ailments, including terrible sciatica after delivery.

Tell them you just gave birth a few weeks ago, though, because they will be extra careful with your abdominal region. And make sure you find a good chiro. He or she should not want to do any xrays (he should be able to do it by feel -- just a good OB!) and the chiro should not insist you see them constantly. Once your ailment is over they should not pressure you to keep going to "stay adjusted".

If you don't do a chiro, it may go away on its own.. but I think you'd feel a lot better after seeing one.. and it may NOT go away, and it may flare up and go away and flare up and go away -- taking a while each time to go away where it'd be really short if you saw a chiro.

If you think us chiropractor folk are fruitloops that is fine.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• ahem *just LIKE a good OB or midwife-- in reference to doing things based upon feel.

I have a 7 month old that keeps making the weirdest cooing sounds during his nap and I keep getting distracted. lol
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009