Should i MAKE him drink his milk

I babysit a 2 year old every morning he comes with a sippy cup empty (because he drinks it on the way here) of juice his mom told me when i first started keeping him at home he drinks a cup of juice then milk then juice all day after that i had talked to her about him having so many poopy diapers and she claims she didn't know juice made you go number 2 she has 3 kids how did she not know this and she is a teacher?? (weird) so my question is should i make him sit at the table with his sippy cup till he at least drinks one to two ounces b/c he will not drink it and when she picks him up i will say thats all he has had to drink today b/c he will not drink the milk so she will pour it out and say oh well he wants juice?? so should i make him drink it and not play till he does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would only give milk and if he doesn't drink it then he doesn't get anything else. I wouldn't make him sit there until he drinks it either. Just only offer milk. You can't make up for moms' bad parenting.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't be as concerned about his not drinking milk as I am about him drinking so much juice! If he doesn't drink his milk, he's fine as long as he has another source of dairy (yogurt and/or cheese). But juice has WAY too much sugar in it for him to be drinking it all day long. He should be drinking water. For my kids, I offer milk or water but juice only on occasion. However, if you're babysitting then you kinda have to follow the mother's wishes.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would not keep him from playing....it's not wise to punish kids for food issues, especially when it is obviously the parent's issue.
    I just would not give him ANY juice....milk or water only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• dont punish the child. offer him water and milk. my grandson loves yougart and cheese. juice has way to much sugar in it. offer him cereal with milk in a special bowl. they make them with straws attached.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 10:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't make him sit at the table until the milk was gone, but I would put the sippy in the fridge and keep the milk and not offer another beverage until he finishes it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I know you're trying to help but you also have to honor mom's wishes so here's a way around it:

give him juice but water it down then offer him other dairy items to get the calcium/vitamin D/protein that he needs.

I wouldn't punish him for not drinking milk because mom has created that problem, not him.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• offer water instead. I would back off the juice for his sake, though But don't force the milk. There are toher ways to get the nutrients.
    Anonymous

• my dd only drinks juice water down and green tea, she hates water and milk.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009