Will my son eventually fall asleep without crying?

Two nights ago i started letting my 9mo old fall asleep in his crib on his own.(I used to have to rock him and he would sleep in my my bed all night. My dh was sleeping on the couch) I absolutely hate letting him cry but he has fallen asleep. And even when he wakes in the night he falls asleep after only a few minutes of crying, My Question is will he eventually just know its time for bed and not cry cause its really hard for me to not go pick him up?

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yup he should, my kids did really good. At bedtime I would lay them down and they would go to sleep.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes, he will learn but at 9 months it may be closer to 1 year before that happens
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Make sure you have a nighttime routine in place so he knows what is going to happen, and he should go down without crying in no time. My 10 month old doesn't cry at night or before naps, although occasionally he will sit up and play for a few mins at naptime before he lays down and goes to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 10:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Uh, well my son cried himself to sleep from 8 months old to 18 months old - sometimes here and there it will still happen and he's 23 months. I thought My son would get the hang out if eventually too but... yeah, he's a fighter. and we have a very routined schedule for him..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yes
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yes i have always used this technique with my daughter and she is the best sleeper ever. never complains about going to bed at night and she sleeps right through the night. the whole 10-12 hrs at night. although sometimes you have to listen when you cry and think is this a sounds of just waking or someting wrong. i have gone in feeling something about her cry is weird and found that she would have pooped in her diaper.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't let my kids cry, but I've read the books. Ferber says that if your child is still crying after a week, something isn't right.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• he will adjust...its a good sign that even as he wakes at night he falls back asleep..I think you said after a few minutes? With my gilrs it took a few weeks for them to adjust to the part where you place them in bed at night. If they woke throughout the night they wouldn't cry but that when we initially placed them in bed they would for about 15min. I started CIO with them at 12mos old and after 3 days they both slept through the night. My oldest never did CIO and he slept horrible till age 3! SO try to stick it out it does work but when its your first its hard!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009