Inducing for conviencence.

Has anyone been induced by a doctor because you wanted to time when the delivery was going to be? I realized that there will be a lot of hateful thoughts and responses from some women on here, but I'm curious how many women, with their doctor's approval and assistance, induced early for no medical reasons?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope, induced because I had GD and doc was worried about her size
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No I was induced because I had High Blood Pressure
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I self induced my oldest with castor oil at 40 weeks and 1 day.

My second was scheduled at about 6 months to be induced at 38 weeks due to scheduling conflicts with my husbands work schedule.

My third was induced(although I wanted for once to just let the baby come when she wanted to) at 39 weeks because I had Group B and they were worried I would go into labor on my own over the weekend and wouldn't be able to administer the antibiotics she needed prior to birth.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yes I was induced for convienence. My doctor was going to be out of town for awhile with #2 so I induced two weeks early. With #1 I wanted to have him before the end of the year and NOT on or around Christmas. I wanted him to have his own special day. He was due Dec. 28th. So I induced two weeks early as well. Wouldn't have it any other way. I am a bit of a control freak and do not like surprises.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• if its for medical reason...meaning either the mom, the baby or the mom and the baby will benefit from it YEA i would suggest it. but not because the mom is uncomfortable with her growing body. lets be adult about this ya know. i was induced both time. the first because my son was two weeks late and aminotic fluid decreases after a certain period and it could put the child in danger. the second was because the doc thought my dauther was getting too big.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I had scheduled sections for my second and third babies cuz first baby's labor two weeks overdue and days long with no even contractions or dilation. Four day of that finally pushed two hours no progress then section. Ended up being hospitalized for over a week with a fever and infection.

Doctors didn't want to chance that with me for second and third babies so scheduled sections for both.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The first time I was induced because of high bp. Second they did not induce me til 41 weeks. This time they're doing a scheduled c-section a week before my due date, not sure why early though. I guess that would be a good question to ask at my next ob appointment!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I was induced for medical reasons with my DD. Having been through an induced labor and 2 natural ones, there is no way I would put myself through an induced labor again without a really good medical reason. I wouldn't even do it again for the reason I was induced for. It makes labor far more painful and increases your chances of other interventions and complications. No thanks.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• 2 of my friends were induced early like 2 weeks cause their hubbys deployed before their due date. But I don't think most dr. do that. The baby will come when he/she is ready!
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 11:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Even with all the medical sciences ability to predict, an estimated due date can be off as much as 2 weeks. I wouldn't chance it. Also you DO know that induced labor can be so much harder, don't you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2009