Have you heard not to use a snow suit for a Baby?

My DD bought the cutest Pink Baby Gap Snow suit for her Newest Niece. But the pediatrition says, No snow suits can be used with a car Seat? Have you heard this as well? Do you ever then use a snow suit? Its beyond Sweet & Precious! But we'd never jeopardise a baby's safety! So I'm asking your opinion and what you know! Things do change! (Sorry, Disclaimer. I can't spell* a migraine.)

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's because the suit adds bulk and may effect how the straps are adjusted...not tight enough to keep them from being ejected from the seat in a crash..

Put them in the suit then in the seat and tighten, then take them out and the suit off and place them in the seat...you will notice a definate difference in how tight the straps are. I only used a suit if we were going to be playing outside...other than that, I covered with lots of blankes until we got into the car.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• new one on me, what reason did the pedi give?
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I was told the same thing. It adds too much bulk. I always wrapped my son in blankets when he was in the car seat.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I never used on on my son and he was born late December. I dressed him in warm clothing-layers-and then put a thermal blanket over the carrier.

I would use it if you are outside etc for a long period of time but I dont care for it in the car seat. Idont really know why but ...maybe

I would imagine the seat might suffocate the baby? Or the belts would not be secure enough?

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• if you use a carseat in the car (not the carrier) its ok....

but for the carrier not a good idea. but then for babies in the carriers you can get the snuggle bag thingy.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• for your migraine***

http://www.hhnews.com/managing_migraines.htm

and

http://www.ehow.com/way_5343970_herbal-migraine-headache-prevention.html
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• just put them in the snowsuit AFTER you get to where you're going...I can't imagine it would be very comfortable traveling like that...Imagine being in full ski/snowboard attire then buckling yourself up! Keep a blanket around baby in the mean time...it's not that big a deal.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Two reasons. Biggest and most important reason is that in an accident the bulky snow-suit will compress and the baby will no longer be secured. The baby will be ejected from their seat or slide around and strangle or be severely injured on the loose straps. Adults are not supposed to wear big bulky/fluffy coats or parkas in a car for the same reason -- but the danger is not quite as hefty because seat belts have the ability to self-tighten in an accident --- the straps in a car seat DO NOT have that ability so it is 100x more dangerous. The other reason is overheating. In a nice warm car - in a car seat - with blankets on - your baby could be one HOT baby. lol. Use a -fleece- non-bulky/fluffy coat and fleece overpants - and a nice fleece blanket - and warm up the car - you'll be fine! Use the snowsuit outdoors. Take pictures with baby marveling at the snow :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• A nice thin fleece and make sure it's secure up against babies skin and not too loose or thick of a fleece :)

You could do a few layers or a thin sweater, too. As long as it's not bulky, too loose, fluffy, or affects the ability of the straps to sit correctly.

I've heard of people strapping their baby in and putting the coat on -backward and unzipped- AFTER baby is strapped into the carseat, too, but that wouldn't work with a snowsuit.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Hi, my daughter sweats like crazy in the car so she just wears normal clothes, then when we get where we are going we put the snowsuit on her before we get out of the truck. First for safety reasons, like they said above the seatbelts and second for her overheating. Then when you get back in the car take it off before putting them back in. Get a lightweight swowsuit. The bulky ones are hard for them to move in. Plus you will have your heater on and they would roast!
    tntsmom216

Answer by tntsmom216 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2009