How can I get my 2-year-old to stop spitting out his drink?

It seems like he does this when he's not thirsty anymore, but it's a recent development; until maybe a week ago, he'd always just put his cup down or hand it to me. And he doesn't seem to enjoy the sensation, because he always insists that the mess get cleaned up right away. I always take away his cup whenever he does this, and he doesn't get anything other than milk and water, but I can't completely deprive him of drink, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 10:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him clean up his mess, he made it, he can clean it up
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I took the cup away and told him to swallow cause my son would hold the water in and run over to the couch and spit it out - we don't allow him to have drinks anywhere but the kitchen but he got around that one I guess. Now I make him sit down and tell him to swallow or I take it away. Every time he spits it out, make him clean it up and then put him in timeout - he won't let himself dehydrate himself...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My DD's spits out her food and cleans it up. Hasn't stopped her spitting it out. I think it's a phase for my child at least. I haven't done anything and her spitting out food has started to stop already.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'd have him clean it up and then take the cup away. Only offer a cup at the table for a while and see if that helps. Sit with him and praise him for drinking his milk/water.

You could also try having him drink out of a dixie cup at the table. Pour just a sip worth. It's great practice for him and you can praise, praise, praise him for drinking his milk/water.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 11:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I do make him clean up his own messes. He likes to clean up messes; he'll pour water on the floor just so I'll give him a paper towel and let him clean it up. But in this situation, he doesn't seem to enjoy it because he starts fussing when he spits out his drink instead of wanting a paper towel and getting all excited when I give it to him like he normally does.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• how long has it been going on? could he have a sore throat? where maybe he wants to drink but can't swallow cause his throat hurts?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Does he do it right away? Like the first sip out of the cup gets spit out? My daughter only does this when she's had some to drink then she's bored. I take the cup away and only give it to her when she asks for it. She asks for it about every other hour and drinks 4 oz or so each time, so I know she's getting enough. (Though sometimes I wonder because she likes to drink her bath water... anyone know of anything to break this habit? Doesn't matter if it's soapy or not.... ugh.)
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 5:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2009