Tubes tied or vasectomy?

I am having our third child in April and we know that we don't want anymore. So my queston is what you ladys think would be better? My dr told me that there is a chance of getting my tubes tired that It can worsen my depression. What is your take on this?

my2loves0607

Asked by my2loves0607 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Health

• My hubby and I are in the same boat as you. At first we were thinking definitely tubes tied since I'm having a planned csection, but now we're rethinking and researching vasectomies. His main concern is reversal.. I don't know why.. I know I'm done because I'm also carrying our 3rd. Vasectomies are a lot easier for men than tubal ligation is for women, much less invasive. Atleast that's what I've been told. I asked this same question a couple weeks ago and most of the responses were aimed toward vasectomy as being the better option. I can't take pills because the hormones really screw with me, and other forms don't seem feasible, plus the thought of altering my body and not knowing the side effects til after it's done just doesn't sit well with me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Could the dr's thought be that your own thinking that you're no longer fertile could worsen your hormones into depression or that the act of surgery itself could worsen depression?

I had my tubes tied after our third baby. I chose my tubes tied or vasectomy cuz with a vasectomy its' hard to tell for sure unless spouse goes in for sperm count tests afterward that non exist anymore.So my cut and ties I could count on for sure. Plus we used spermicide itself as extra protection for a while.

Maybe think of combination of counselling and meds or at least counselling itself about no more kids before agreeing to tubes or not.

I had no ill effects hormonally from my tubal. I felt more free because we knew a fourth child was not right for us.

Congratulations on new baby!! You sound like me, I question everything medically before I make any decisions.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Vasectomy is a much less invasive procedure with a lower failure rate (about 1% vs about 2% for tubals).

Here is a link comparing the two. http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/sterilization/a/sterilizhisorhe.htm

All other things being equal, the vascetomy really is a much safer procedure with less side effects.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I made my hub get a vasectomy, it's much easier for them and doesn't require and general anesthesia. He thought I should get my tubes tied after I had our second child, but told him where he could stuff that idea :). Although I did tell my OB that if I ended up needing a C-section then to go ahead and tie my tubes then
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I suggest Essure. Tubals and vasectomies can reverse themselves. It is rare but it happens. With Essure scar tissues forms so there is no way it can self reverse. I got it done in August and get my confirmation test done next month.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• vacescotmy is the best way to go..now had I needed a c-section with our third I would have had my tubes tied. But I didn't!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009