At what age should you teach your little boy to pee standing up?

I am a single mom. My son Max will be 3 in a few weeks. He is potty trained however, he still sits on the potty and makes a mess almost every time. When should I teach him to stand up to potty?

AngieRae123

Asked by AngieRae123 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started around three. I thought he was old enough to grasp the concept. But just a heads up it's weird and awkward it you do it try having daddy help him with this, lol.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I am in the process of potty training my son right now, and he is 2 1/2 yrs. We have already started working on him peeing standing up b/c he wants to do it like daddy does. I would suggest using cheerios or the colorful substitute Fruit Loops to help assist you with it. Tell him to aim at them, which is what we do with my DS. Also like the previous poster said have a male figure (grandpa or uncle or brother) show him how he does it and that might help with the process!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I started from the beginning. My son learned to pee standing up when we were potty training. He was 2 1/2. He never had any problems aiming or anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ours is 6 and doesn't yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We started them off peeing standing up. Of course, they all watched daddy, and then their big brothers doing it, so it was natural for them. If daddy is around, have daddy do this part because it involves aiming and shaking and yeah, just stuff I didn't want to get into.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• when you teach to stand up is not 1/2 as important as making sure you teach him not to leave the seat up, lol.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son will be 3 in dec & he sits on the potty..cuz hes not tall enough to aim in the toilet yet.His weewee just barely reaches the rim of the bowl.But as soon as hes tall enough to be able to aim,i will.He sees dad doing it & he took to potty in the toilet pretty quick so i dont think itll be a prob.I thought about a steppy stool but was afraid he'd end up fallin in the toilet or falling & getting seriously hurt so we'll just wait til hes tall enough.
    cheekymonster

Answer by cheekymonster at 1:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I taught my son at three. He also made a huge mess when sitting. He got it right away - good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I started as soon has he was tall enough to get "it" over the edge of the toilet. I think he was about 2 1/2. We just told him it makes bubbles in the toilet when he stands up and pees. That worked!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009