Has anyone had problems w. a frt loader washing machine making towels smell funky?

I bought a LG front Loader washer and dryer.... I use the correct soap and softner, but since I started using this machine my towels ( and its only my towels) come out of the washer with a funky smell.. comparable to as if they had been left in there for days kinda smell!!!! Its really gross... Im ready to throw out my towels..and buy new ones.. but thats crazy!!!! Ive bought the Tide washing machine cleaner.... but the towels just seem to maintain this "smell"" Has anyone else had this problem with a frt loader?? I used to use vinager in ALl my wash in my old machine as I have boys and this helps to get out grd in dirt and helped to make the clothes smell fresher combined with the softner.... but I dont know if I can do that with a frt loader!! HELP!!!!!! :(

Mom2JAW

Asked by Mom2JAW at 10:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It's the rubber in the washing machine, every now and again I have to through a small bit of bleach in wiht a load, and then it's all good
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My mom was complaining the other day about her LG front loading washer and how the clothes do not smell clean. Not sure if you can use the vinegar in it, but just wanted to let you know that your not the only one.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• actually, if you read your care instructions you'll see that there is a cleaning tablet made specifically for this purpose. a front loader does not work the same way as a drum, and retains an amount of moisture & residue. though it is a highly effective tool, it has to be cared for differently.

i have since forgotten the manufacturers name (product name) of the tablets- but they can be found in any grocery store, or at walmart (cheaper there). you place one in the empty washer, and wash on the "sanitize" cycle. if you've never done this before, you may have to run it twice with the cleaner. it is designed to remove the residue, and improves efficiency.

my parents bought a new LG front loading set a few months ago, and ran into the same problem. i read the instruction manual (which my dad- the engineer, hadn't. go figure) and figured out how to fix it.

hope that helps
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Try adding vinegar into the fabric softner spot and I can guarentee they won't smell xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have a Whirlpool front loader and I started having this issue a few weeks ago. I looked up some troubleshooting tips online and discovered that there is a drain trap in the front of the washer to catch anything that might clog the drain. Sure enough, I opened the front panel (just under the door of the machine) and unscrewed the drain trap. A bunch of stinky water poured out along with two socks and some loose change! Check out your owners manual and check to see if you have a drain trap. Hope this works! Good luck!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Run bleach with no clothes through a cycle, also I found you have to use the extra rinse cycle with towels, not enough water to rinse them with one! I didn't know about the drain, so I will check this out. Don;t throw out the towels, put them on the cycle for sanitize and use half of the soap. Don't waste the money on the cleaning tabs, bleach is all you need!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I did learn when I got my front loader that the lip of the machine (where the door opens and closes on the inside) collects smelly dirt and filth that can get on your laundry if you're not careful so it has to be cleaned regularly. Hard water can cause your laundry to not smell so good. I ran some bleach like what kimigogo suggested and it is a great way to clean, she gave a great suggestion that I agree with! :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2009