Mirena birth control

Im thinking about getting this at my 6 week checkup. Im hoping if you have it or have any info on it for me good or bad you could let me know. I am breastfeeding and have 3 under 3 years so if we decide to have more it wont be for a few years. I really need good protection and never remember a pill hence my first son....lol. Thanks everyone

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my mirena put in at my 6 wk check-up. With-in 3 months my sex drive was gone, I had mood swings like I never thought i had in me, I had a lot of pain when i did have sex, My SO also had discomfort when we did have sex. I would not recommend it. If you really want to look into it more google mirena side effects and then you can go from there. GL If you do have anymore questions you can email me anytime.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Opps I did get mine taken out and I had my tubes tied. My SO and I are done having LO's.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have had lots of friends have problems with this. The Dr wants me to get it instead of depo shots. I need surgery but the Dr seems to think my body will heal itself. He thinks if I don't get the depo because it has progesterone my body will have more estrogen to heal itself. The Mirena has different hormones. My friends have had mood swings, bleeding, pain, hot flashes.. There is another type of IUD I have heard is better, can't remember the name. So look up the different types, they have different hormones. Hope this helps a little.
    tntsmom216

Answer by tntsmom216 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Have you thought about Paraguard, it is a non hormonal IUD so there are not that many side effects. I had it in for one year before i had it removed. The only siide effect i had was mild cramping the first couple of weeks. When i did finally get a preiod, it was just a regular normal one. You could ask your OB about it. I also had 3 under 3 so i know about waiting. I don't want to discourage you from this, but i did become pregnant with this IUD in. So now i will have 4 under 5 by the time the baby gets here. Let me also reassure you that there is only 1 in 100 chance that you can become preg. on this. Just my luck though, it really doesn;t happen that often. Paraguard is supposed to be 99%effective. Check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have the Paragard and have had it for almost 2 years. I have not gotten pg with it and I think it is way more typical to not get pregnant. It is said that the copper in the IUD makes a 'hostile environment' for the sperm.
    My side effects were a pinching feeling when it was being inserted (normal), heavier than normal periods for the first few months (nothing that was unmanagable though), and I have actually gotten PMS (cramping) a little worse since I have gotten it. Nothing that a couple of Midol doesn't take care of though. The good thing is that it can last up to 10 years and it's non-hormonal.
    Anonymous

• Thank you everyone...youve been so much help!
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 1:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have mirena and I love it. I had mild cramping and spotting the day after but that was it. Im still able to breastfeed. My sex drive is normal and I only experienced slight pain from sex once and that was after it was put in. A big bonus is my normally horrible periods are now lighter shprter and less cramping. Everyone reacts differently though. PM if you have any questions.
    IsabellesMom524

Answer by IsabellesMom524 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I had mine for 3 months before I got it removed. I was having trouble losing weight, my skin was out of control with breakouts, I had hot flashes (bad!), terrible headaches every day that could not be treated, and out of the 3 mos, I was bleeding constantly.. maybe had a week total w/o a period, mood swings, and NO sex drive (but being on my period forever wasnt helping that!). It does react very differently for everyone, but I will never recommend it to anyone else. Search for Mirena in the groups.. I found and joined one for more info. It was helpful! Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you have questions hun!
    MrsBujak

Answer by MrsBujak at 2:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2009