Math Help?

My son is in 1st grade and he is having a little trouble with math. What type of math workbooks have you tried or would you recommend to help him? He reads very well, but he has trouble with math. Are there any math websites to help him?

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a bunch of websites that I use for my son (he's in 3rd grade now, but I've had them for yrs.). I just had to reinstall everything on my computer, and haven't reloaded my favorites yet, but I will do that later today, and send you a message with the links, if that's ok with you?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would not purchase any books, I would play cards with them, I use the cards to teach adding, subtraction, multiplication, you name it. What is he having trouble with?
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Oh, though I do have Scholastic books it breaks everything down, for my older kids. Also, ask teachers for extra dittos so you can practice with him at home, they are usually more then willing to help, sometimes they will give you a work book, make it fun for him, the more fun the faster they learn it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• We HS. Yesterday I had our son doing was doing a "math game" with dice. He rolled two dice, wrote down the number on each dice (say 5 +4) and then their total.

We also did it backwards with subtraction. He'd roll the dice, write down the total, slide one away (- whatever) and write down the difference - the one that was left.

You can also use candy/raisins/goldfish crackers to show such concepts, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Thanks, any help is appreciated. She said he was having trouble with adding groups of things and word problems.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Adding groups and word problems are more abstract things. MANY people have trouble with them, even into the college level. (I used to be a college math tutor)

If he's a visual learning he needs to SEE it. Illustrate the word problem or change it so it's something to which he can relate. (favorite characters or vehicles)

Draw pictures of the word problem.....use props.

"Johnny has two quarters and one dime. How much money does he have?" (okay, something like that LOL)

Put out the coins. A quarter is worth 25 cents and we have two of them...write down 25 two times. We also have a dime and it's worth 10 cents...write down 10. Now have him add them.

Probably bad example for his grade, I know...hope it helps.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried the jumpstart computer games? They are educational games that help with different subjects.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Try www.math.com Ask the teacher what he needs help in and if she has extra worksheets or game ideas you can use. You can teach him poker and blackjack to learn how to add and subtract (believe it or not this helped my son a lot in Kindergarten. His teacher suggested it and my dad taught him.) He is now 13 and is awesome in math. You can count cereal pieces, M and M's, Goldfish, etc. You can have him group numbers (tell him to count out 4 goldfish, etc). You can have a pile of poker chips and have 2 groups (ex 3 in one and 2 in another) and have him "add" them and you can even do the same but subtraction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009