Have you ever heard of Buju Banton and Beenie Man?

It is Reggae music from Jamaica. They sing lyrics that incite their fans to murder and torture all gay people, even providing specific instructions. Buju Banton incites listeners to shoot gays in the head and set them on fire, his lyric also speak of hanging Lesbians with a long piece of rope and sings of a new Jamaica. He suggests killing them with machine guns and also recomends bazookas! How do you like their message of hate? Or are some of you going to deny such hate?

Asked by older at 11:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It is sick and wrong to use something as beautiful and artistic as music or art to express and foment hatred of anyone or group. I think it's just as wrong as the White Power creeps using those two pretty little blonde girls to spread their particular brand of hate. At least these clowns are presumably adults who should know better. No excuse for their actions, though. I don't suppose there's much that can be done about this crap. Freedom of speech is a two edged sword that can cut both ways. Sometimes it's unfortunate or distressing, as in this case.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Wow, that sucks. I don't listen to reggae music, so I hadn't heard of this. That's pretty darned sick. I thought Jamaicans were pretty happy go lucky people in general.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• That is sick and disgusting.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• This is something I've known about for years. They've never really hidden it, however if you're not a fan of their music you'd never known it or if you'd only heard one or two of their songs.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ugh. And I like reggae normally.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Can you cite some lyrics and what they mean? Or is this something you read on the internet and took for fact? I know of one song of Buju Banton's that talked about gay men, supposedly in response to the rape of young boys in Jamaica. He claims "gay" in Jamaica is rape, but of course I don't know if that is a fact so I won't report it as such.
    Anonymous

• http://www.petertatchell.net/popmusic/Dancehall-Dossier-FINAL.pdf, this has some lyric, there is also a song called Boom bye bye that is just as disgusting!

Answer by older at 12:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• http://www.petertatchell.net/popmusic/reggaestarsditchantigaylyrics.htm try this one!

Answer by older at 12:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Don't we have enough hate in the world without using something so beautiful as music to spead such crap. Like the white power asshats who use those twin girls voices to spead their stupid filth. Now here is something I used to consider cheerful music, now gone horribly bad.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Boom boom bye would be the song I was talking about, recorded in 1988 when he was 15. The song was written in response to a widely reported man/boy rape case in Jamaica. His subsequent music condemned gun violence and inspired some clubs to stop playing music with excessive violence. Because ofBuju's transformation to Rastafari, many artists, converted to the faith and started to denounce violence
    Anonymous